Urgent Care :: Lung/head injury?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:46 am   Lung/head injury?

Yesterday I was washing my RES (Tacky) shell when I accidently dropped the showerhead on her! It hit her either on her head or on the front part of her shell where the lungs are.

She withdrew into her shell and started bleeding, with mucus from her nose. You can't imagine how sorry and anxious I felt. When she finally popped her head out she was having difficulty breathing, wheezing and gasping for air every few moments, but the bleeding stopped.

She ate a little and isn't moving as much. I brought her to the vet the next day and the vet said nothing looks broken in her head area, and it may be an injury to her lungs. She administered anti-biotics and an injection.

So everyday for 3 days I'll have to give Tacky a jab at her butt and a drop on her nose. I feel soooo sorry, I wish I could have taken the jab for her instead since it was my carelessness. :cry:
Right now Tacky still has trouble breathing and I keep checking on her to see if she's still alive.

Any idea what I can do to make her feel more comfortable? Should I put her in water? She seems to wheeze less out of it. Any idea what are the survival rates for RES with lung injuries? How long will it take for her to heal? My country is situated near the equator, a tropical island really, so the average temperature is 80 to 90 F.

Here's a photo of her when she wasn't injured.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/140/359516536_d82cb00762.jpg?v=0
Dazzled
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Jan 16, 2007

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:42 pm   

Welcome. You've got a pretty RES. The shell wasn't cracked at all? Where exactly did the bleeding come from---the nose (to me it's unclear from what you wrote)? I'm wondering why the vet didn't do an x-ray to see if anything was wrong internally...At this point, I'd be keeping a very careful eye on her and taking her back to the vet (this is a vet trained to deal with turtles/exotics?) if her behavior changes.

I don't know about survival rates for lung injuries (you don't know for sure if this is one---you vet said it "may be a lung injury" or the length of time it will take to heal---these are questions you should ask your vet.

Aside from antibiotics, what other injection was your turtle given? What meds are you injecting her with now?

Did the vet specifically say to keep her out of the water? If not, I'd put her in water (don't make it very deep so she doesn't have to expend energy swimming, about shell length should be OK) and create a basking area that's super easy for her to get on.

If a turtle's shell is healthy, it's not really necessary to "clean" it. Wiping with a soft cloth or a gentle rubbing with a soft brush if there's algae on the shell should suffice.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:35 pm   

Oh gosh, I'm sorry to hear this happened! :cry:

I agree with Marisa.....definitely make sure this vet is qualified to see "exotics" and an xray will help you see a bigger picture.
Kristin's Pond! Starring:

RES = "Sheba", 21+ yrs. old
African Clawed Frog = "Prog", 10 yrs old
& "Kristin" as Momma
User avatar
industrial_girl_2000
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3232
Joined: May 11, 2006
Location: Farmington Hills, MI

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:13 am   

marisa wrote:Welcome. You've got a pretty RES. The shell wasn't cracked at all? Where exactly did the bleeding come from---the nose (to me it's unclear from what you wrote)? I'm wondering why the vet didn't do an x-ray to see if anything was wrong internally...At this point, I'd be keeping a very careful eye on her and taking her back to the vet (this is a vet trained to deal with turtles/exotics?) if her behavior changes.

I don't know about survival rates for lung injuries (you don't know for sure if this is one---you vet said it "may be a lung injury" or the length of time it will take to heal---these are questions you should ask your vet.

Aside from antibiotics, what other injection was your turtle given? What meds are you injecting her with now?

Did the vet specifically say to keep her out of the water? If not, I'd put her in water (don't make it very deep so she doesn't have to expend energy swimming, about shell length should be OK) and create a basking area that's super easy for her to get on.

If a turtle's shell is healthy, it's not really necessary to "clean" it. Wiping with a soft cloth or a gentle rubbing with a soft brush if there's algae on the shell should suffice.


Thanks, I thought I was the only one who thought Tacky was pretty. :wink:
Nope, her shell wasn't cracked at all. She bled from her nose, although the bleeding stopped, there's still some mucus at her nose and a bit of a film at her mouth.

My country doesn't seem to have vets who are specialised in reptiles, but the clinic that I went to said it could deal with all pets and aquamarine creatures. I didn't know they could do x-rays on turtles..
The vet did say I could put her in water, though not too deep.

I'm suppose to drop Aminophylline on her nose once a day, and inject baytril/saline solution into her once a day too.

At least she seems fine, not very lethargic, although appearances can be deceptive. I have a bit of trouble injecting her, since I was a little hesistant to poke a needle into her and she was quite unwilling to have a needle at her butt too. Afterwards she gave an accusing stare at me, as if saying "Why'd you do that for!"

Here's some more pictures of her when she was still ok.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/133/360175819_ce3ae91490.jpg?v=0

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/131/360175816_3425de2f40.jpg?v=116900684
Dazzled
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Jan 16, 2007

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:21 am   

From those pics, I'd say your "she" is a "he".......
User avatar
grey goose
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Jul 12, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:23 am   

i say it's a lil young to tell... way to young.
"Go all out or dont go out at all" - Muirner


R.I.P Mary Kate 12-12-06
R.I.P. Ashley 12-17-06
Muirner
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Nov 8, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:51 am   

I don't know, Murner, those nails look awfully long......
User avatar
grey goose
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Jul 12, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:15 pm   

I need to see a pic of the tail for sexing---but from the pic, Tacky does look a little small to tell for sure.

How is Tacky doing? Is s/he having any trouble breathing? Is s/he eating? Baytril often affects the appetite, so don't be too surprised if s/he loses the desire to eat while on it.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:50 pm   

Tack's tail is short, stubby and small in comparison to her body. The bottom of her shell's flat, her nails are quite short and she's as cranky as a girl with PMS every month.

The last part was a joke. Somewhat. But I think she's most likely a girl, I'm having troubles transferring pictures to my computer at the moment, so I can't show you a picture of her tail.

To my greatest relief, she's better than the day when she got injured. She's gasping/wheezing less often, although her appetite is slightly diminished, her eyes still light up when I bring the bottle of turtle pellets near.

But I guess I'll stop those every-30min-calls to my house to check on Tack, when she stops gasping completely and eats enough for a rhino.
Being on this site helped eased a lot of my tension, I'm glad to know there are people who also think turtles are very lovable. Thanks for all the concern, really appreciate it. ;)
Dazzled
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Jan 16, 2007

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:04 pm   

Sounds like she's doing better.. glad to hear it. If the appetite is still there, then I'd be very happy.. :)

lol I for one being female will definitely acknowledge that we can be a bit cranky when pms'g.. :)
Carol
User avatar
cam722
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: Jun 2, 2005
Location: Northeast PA

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:14 pm   

Is she scheduled for any follow up visits with the vet?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:57 pm   

What a scary moment!! Happy to hear things are better!
Pookie <3 Paco
User avatar
Turtle Love
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Jan 17, 2007

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:41 am   

oh wow! well i don't really know the answer to your questions, but i just wanted to say i hope tacky feels better! i think i'd have a heart attack if that happened.

best advice is just do what the dr. says.
The menagerie: 1 cat//1 pleco////1 glass fish//2 snails//2 ghost shrimp//4 red ear sliders//5 tetras//5 guppies
.This.is.Madness.
User avatar
pumpkinsherbet
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Dec 31, 2006

Post Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:08 am   

man I hope she gets well soon. best of luck. :)
From the homegrowers soul, straight to his lungs. That's the method that I myself find fun. Start from seed and then you'll see, just how fun homegrowing can be.
User avatar
da sAUCE!
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Apr 12, 2005
Location: Cypress, Texas


Return to Urgent Care

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 79 guests