General Care Discussion :: Odd behavior

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:50 pm   Odd behavior

He used to love eating his pallets when it was summer/fall time but now it's winter and he won't eat it anymore. I introduced him to a guppie and he ate it. I also gave him some shrimp and he ate that also but now he won't eat the pallets. Does he eat different things for different seasons? or is it something worse?

He also refuses to bask. I've had him for about 3 months now and he refuses to bask. He stays in the water all the time.
MidnightX2
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Jan 7, 2007

Post Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:31 pm   

What is his set up like? Does he have a heater? What are the water and basking temps?

Some turts recognize seasonal change and they slow down in the winter. Those are usually turtles in the wild, or turts that are kept in outdoor set ups. It is possible with indoor turts as well. It doesn't explain why he would eat one thing and not another.

Turts need variety, you wouldn't enjoy just a diet of pellets, and I'm sure your turtle doesn't either. Instead of feeding a diet of 'treats' try some veggies and see how that goes.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3040
Joined: Aug 29, 2005
Location: Ohio

Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:23 am   

He has two containers. one big tank for him to swim and bask in but i don't have a heater so now i keep him in a smaller container with a lid that has an small opened flap to keep in the heat. I also have a lamp for him to bask but he doesn't like getting out of the water. My room is fairly warm and i change his water everyday or every other day.

I've also tried feeding him a variety of fruits and veggies but he doesn't take too much interest in them.
MidnightX2
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Jan 7, 2007

Post Posted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:01 am   

If you are changing his water that frequently, it sounds like a very small setup. I would start getting together a good setup with the correct water and basking temps. Steady temps are very important for captive aquatic turtles.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:01 pm   

I've found that my turts seem to be keener on certain foods in the cooler/winter months. What pellets were you giving him? If you don't have a water heater, however, perhaps the water temp is too cool and is affecting his desire to eat. How do you keep the water warm to make it necessary to use a cover to trap in the heat? What's the ambient temp of the room he's in?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:32 pm   

right now i'm feeding him wardley but i used to feed him nutrafin. my room is about 78 degrees. I'm trying to get a water heater this weekend but his temp is 70 and above.
MidnightX2
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Jan 7, 2007

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:40 am   

If you cant afford a bigger tank u should atleast think about some type of storage container. They always make a decent temp home til u can come up wit some cash-ola. Ive had my RES in a 10 gallon rubbermaid container for the 1st few months ive had him. Now he is in a bigger 30 gallon container.
Complete wit Lighting,heater,basking dock, filter and some river rocks.
Hes a pretty happy camper. Its worth the 10-15 bucks and your RES will be happier.
User avatar
d0eb0y
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Nov 5, 2006
Location: East Boston, MA.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:36 pm   

I just bought a 75W submersible glass-tube heater today for my 2nd tank setup at Meijer's and it only cost me $10.49 so it doesn't cost much. Raising the temp a bit would help your turtle eat more.

75W heater is appropriate for about 15 gals of water according to the package it came in.
Kristin's Pond! Starring:

RES = "Sheba", 21+ yrs. old
African Clawed Frog = "Prog", 10 yrs old
& "Kristin" as Momma
User avatar
industrial_girl_2000
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3232
Joined: May 11, 2006
Location: Farmington Hills, MI

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:50 pm   

I know that with the stealth heaters.. a 75w is recommended for a 25 galllon tank. Must be different for different kinds of heaters??
Carol
User avatar
cam722
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: Jun 2, 2005
Location: Northeast PA

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:50 pm   

cam722 wrote:I know that with the stealth heaters.. a 75w is recommended for a 25 galllon tank. Must be different for different kinds of heaters??


It was a Meijer-brand underwater aquarium heater...all glass submersible tube-style like I have bought in the past. I had originally planned on buying only a 50W, but when I saw the packaging said 75W = 15 gal, that's what I bought. :)
Kristin's Pond! Starring:

RES = "Sheba", 21+ yrs. old
African Clawed Frog = "Prog", 10 yrs old
& "Kristin" as Momma
User avatar
industrial_girl_2000
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3232
Joined: May 11, 2006
Location: Farmington Hills, MI

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:25 pm   

75w bah!

i had two 300w heaters in my tank.. although they weren't submersable and one went *BANG* big flash of light and all.. opps think water got in ;)..

and then another last weekend when i was cleaning my temp tank lol opps.. *note* remember to unplug when taking out water ;)
2 Dogs - Australian Kelpies - Jack and Rebel
1 RES - George
1 Budge - Jay

and a 1990 Nissan Skyline GTS-t.. ;)

My babies :D
User avatar
turtle_nz
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Oct 26, 2006
Location: Dunedin, New Zealand

Post Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:14 pm   

I think it depends on how many watts/gallon is being used. Many guides say to allow 3-5 watts per gallon to determine the appropriate wattage. I usually allow 5 watts per gallon when buying a heater and would use a 50-watt heater for a 10-gallon, 100-watt heater for a 20-gallon, etc. I do have one spare heater that says the wattage is 110-watts and that it's for a 10-gallon tank, though.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 212 guests