Habitat - Indoor :: ATBA idea/question

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:00 pm   ATBA idea/question

Anyone ever try using an acrylic riser for their ATBA? (http://thefixturezone.com/acsqri.html) It seems like a really easy way to do the walls, to me. Just pick a riser with the width dimension of your tank, turn it sideways, affix a piece of tile or some egg-crate to the bottom, and ... make a ramp? Am I ignoring some huge basic problem, because I didn't think I'd seen these being used and I am definitely going to look into it if there's not some obvious reason why this would suck.
1 Rio Grande RES - 1 Yr Old - J.T.
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26972
User avatar
shedreamsinred
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Jun 12, 2010
Location: MA

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:49 pm   Re: ATBA idea/question

I looks like they have acrylic on top i don't know if thats like glass and blocks out of UV rays or not. Does it?
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:36 pm   Re: ATBA idea/question

I wouldn't be positioning it so that there's a top. It would be on it's side so that the three sides would make up the borders of the ATBA, without a floor or top. I would leave it open top and clip lights on the sides, and probably use a tile for the floor.
1 Rio Grande RES - 1 Yr Old - J.T.
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26972
User avatar
shedreamsinred
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Jun 12, 2010
Location: MA

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:24 pm   Re: ATBA idea/question

Oh sounds good.
Does the tile scrape the bottom of their shell?
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:20 pm   Re: ATBA idea/question

Ranger The Red Ear Slider wrote:Oh sounds good.
Does the tile scrape the bottom of their shell?


I don't know, I've seen a lot of people using what looks like ceramic tile for the floor of their basking areas. Anyone have any opinion on this?
1 Rio Grande RES - 1 Yr Old - J.T.
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26972
User avatar
shedreamsinred
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Jun 12, 2010
Location: MA

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:56 pm   Re: ATBA idea/question

Yeah i have seen allot of people use it.
Also i see some people using carpet but wouldn't that trap moisture under there shell while they bask?
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:00 pm   Re: ATBA idea/question

I just ordered a piece, so I'll let you know 8)

-Spike
Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there. Eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Oh, but one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back. -Heraclitus of Ephesus
User avatar
Spike 7.62
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Aug 23, 2009
Location: east coast USA

Post Posted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:27 pm   Re: ATBA idea/question

Ordered a piece of tile or carpet?
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:00 am   Re: ATBA idea/question

Or plexi? :D I found a site where those pieces are like $20 instead of $50 btw.
1 Rio Grande RES - 1 Yr Old - J.T.
http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26972
User avatar
shedreamsinred
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Jun 12, 2010
Location: MA

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:04 am   Re: ATBA idea/question

Thats also a good option i see allot of people using that.
And allot cheaper.
Which ever one you want there both great items to use.
Ranger- 13 year old Red Ear Slider
User avatar
Ranger The Red Ear Slider
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Jun 18, 2010
Location: San Antonio
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:11 am   Re: ATBA idea/question

shedreamsinred wrote:Or plexi? :D I found a site where those pieces are like $20 instead of $50 btw.


Yeah that stuff is expensive! I built canopies on all my tanks, so i don't need it.The canopies cost me half the price these pieces of plastic would have cost me.

OP....You can buy a small piece at home depot for cheap and put it in the front where you can see inside, and use wood for the other sides.Also being that it's clear, i think the turtles may feel uncomfortable to get close to the sides.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:08 pm   Re: ATBA idea/question

I didn't use something like that because I didn't realize they existed. We used plexiglas as part of our atba, but only on the front door, the other sides were made using wood.

And as long as it's a smooth ceramic tile, it won't scratch the turtle's shell. I've never had experience with the reptile carpet because i was afraid it would mold over time and that it wouldn't hold any heat so it wouldnt create belly warmth for the turtle
~Christi
1.0 RES: Mikey R.I.P.
1.0 Het for Albino Red Tail Boa: Kaa ~adopted out
0.0.1 Northern BTS: Petri ~now a well-loved class pet

1.0 Am. Staff Mix: Brutus R.I.P.
1.0 German Shepherd: Pax

1.0 Husband: Will
0.1 Daughter: Lily
User avatar
untsmurf
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Jul 28, 2007
Location: Carrollton, TX
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:32 pm   Re: ATBA idea/question

i went to home depot and bought acrylic and wood and made my atba for like $30, with all the accessories i got from the pet-shot etc...
uvb rays needs to have free access to your turtle, some mesh will block the rays, some acrylic and glasses too...
I had acrylic on top of the tank, but is not strong enough.. so i have wood and acrylic on the sides, i will put turf over the wood this week
Spiky - 7mo Wild Red Ear Slider
Toni Montana - 6mo Gold fish
Shiner - 4mo went fishing the last life bait lives in the tank
Goldie - 3mo gold ish
Loner - name says all
Survivor - i caught in the lake
pics: www.facebook.com/mbombonato
User avatar
TartarugaVerde
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Apr 7, 2010
Location: Weston, Florida


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 116 guests