Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:25 pm
You should have 1 basking spot. Your repti glo provides the UVB, I'm assuming there's no glass between the bulb and the turtle. However you most definitely need a heat lamp, or just a regular incandescent bulb (which is what I use) for heat. This helps them dry up, increase their body temp (remember they're cold blooded), and digest their food. It's very important to have one.
Don't give him 2 basking spots with 1 light in one and another light in the other. He might just pick one spot, which it seems it's what happened and he won't be getting the benefits of both lamps - UVB and heat.
BTW, check to see how far the repti glo bulb is supposed to be from your turtle. It should tell you in the box. 3in. seems close, but I don't really know. My bulb is installed 12" away.