Habitat - Indoor :: Is this cover OK to use for UVA and UVB lamp strip?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:38 am   Is this cover OK to use for UVA and UVB lamp strip?

Hi,

I have a UVA light strip and UVB clip on lamp. Will this mesh cover be OK to use for my 10 gallon tank?

http://www.petco.com/product/4357/PETCO ... SiteSearch

Thanks!

Christopher
kissiffer4
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Nov 20, 2009

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:56 am   

Hmmm... that mesh looks really tight. The holes seem to be pretty small - I don't think any significant amount of UVB would get through that. If you want that lid you'd probably have to make a hole where the uvb bulb will sit so the light can go straight through.
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
User avatar
vear
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sep 2, 2009
Location: New York
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:50 am   

Hi Vear,

Thanks for the reply :) Is there an alternative lid that you recommend for a 10 gallon tank? I could really use some help. I feel like I have already spent $$$ on the wrong equipment at PetCo (due to some bad store employee advice).

I have one of those clip on lamps (clips onto a stand, or in my case the book shelf) and a long aqueon strip lamp (that I am currently trying to figure how to use - possibly somehow suspending it above the tank?). It came with a hood, but b/c the hood blocks out all of the light it is pretty much useless, but would still like to use the strip lamp casing.

The strip lamp is an aqueon similar to this:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/aque ... icHood.jpg

Trying to find the right lid to accommodate both!

Thanks!

Christopher
kissiffer4
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Nov 20, 2009

Post Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:52 pm   

I just typed a looong reply and my browser went nuts on me.... lost everything. ::sigh:: I'll try to summarize.

From the picture it seems like the black hood strip does not cover the entire width of the tank. is there any open space where you could clip on your lamp with the UVB bulb to shine inside? The glass will only block out UVB, so you can still use your strip for UVA. I'm not sure how the hood sits though, I don't have one for my tank.

Also, just a thought, but could you just return the tank? Then you could buy a larger one, without a hood - then just use clip on lamps for your lights. Most petstores will give you erroneous information, so I'm not surprised :\ . If not, perhaps try to sell it? I don't know, just shooting out ideas.

The 10 gallon tank will only last you a few months at most. If your turtle is a baby and about 1.5", it will be about 4" in under a year! That means he/she won't fit in the 10 gallon very soon.
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
User avatar
vear
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sep 2, 2009
Location: New York
Gender: Female


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 137 guests