Habitat - Indoor :: Filter cleaning question...

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:55 pm   

water conditioners also remove the chloramine correct? im pretty sure they do but not positve.
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:21 pm   

thegrandpoohbah wrote:Does your town use chloramines at all? Letting the water age will only remove the chlorine, not chloramine (if they use it).

As for my statements before, I'll say it again: I am not trying to be rude. However, my concern is for the welfare of your turtle (and all animals for that matter). If I have to ruffle a few feathers along the way then so be it.

One last question, what was your ammonia reading? On my monitor the sample has a slight green tinge to it.
My eyes arent so hot tonight because of my long day and not much sleep but best I can tell the amonia appears to be anywhere from 0 - 0.5

I know that letting water sit weill only remove the chlorine, and to answer no i dont know if anything else is in our water but thats why I also said I'll be using the AquaSafe that I have.

Aside from everything I've already mentioned I've had Niko in the same setup for going on the 3 months that I've had him / her. As for other tank life the only thing in the tank is one rosy red.

Also, yes I do plan on gettimh Niko a larger tank but thats soemthing I cant do for like an other 8 months or so which if It does take months will make his current setup an 11month lived in tank. One of my many firsts posts here was in regards to that and the consensus was that if its not more than a yr then the 10g would be sufficient.
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:28 pm   

How long has the tank been running? An established tank should have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. Any detectable ammonia indicates that the filter isn't cycled and this is a problem as it can negatively impact your turtle's health. If there is ammonia then I would strongly suggest a water change of 25-50% immediately.
User avatar
thegrandpoohbah
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Oct 14, 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:58 pm   

thegrandpoohbah wrote:How long has the tank been running? An established tank should have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite. Any detectable ammonia indicates that the filter isn't cycled and this is a problem as it can negatively impact your turtle's health. If there is ammonia then I would strongly suggest a water change of 25-50% immediately.
I'll do another test on the Amonia tomorrow when Ive had some sleep and my eyes arent so messed up. To answer though the tanks been in operation for about 3 months but only been occupied for about 2.5months. Also, it is tiem for me to clean my filter hence the original posting which means I should also go out and get a new carbon bag which I almost forgot that I needed.

As for me I'm off to bed for some much needed sleep, I'll answer any pending inquiries tomorrow after I hopefulyl feel better.

Edit: I did have some cloudy water issues when I first started but thats to be expected but for about the past 2.5 months that Nikos been in the tank the waters been nothing but crystal clear and smells good. I did at one point use some BioZyme which someone here suggested and it's after that when my water really cleared up and has stayed that way ever since.
Pets
1 x Male Rio Grande RES named Niko (knee-co) - Growth Chart - DOB 7/03/2008 (Owned since 9/24/2008)
3 x Cats (Orange Tabi, Black n Gray Tabi & Black Long Hair)
Feeding Lists
Niko: → Feed Me ← (Updated 6/10/11)
Cats: Cat Food ;-p
User avatar
MoreBloodWine
 
Posts: 999
Joined: Sep 3, 2008
Location: Meadville, Pa
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:12 am   

Daniel3507 wrote:water conditioners also remove the chloramine correct? im pretty sure they do but not positve.

From what I understand, the conditioner will only neutralize it, not remove it.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 97 guests