Habitat - Indoor :: Whats best fish to get,how many,and best way to put in tank?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:17 am   Whats best fish to get,how many,and best way to put in tank?

Last time I got 2 Rosy Red Minnows and I put them in that tank and a few minutes later they were dead. I wonder why that happened? I was wondering what the best fish to get would be for my turtles. I want some that are fast but my turtle could eventually tire it out and get it. Also I'm not sure how many I should get. And to make sure they don't die should I get fish food, and I need to know the best way to put them into the tank. And is 80' a good temp for fish? My tank temperature stays around that temperature. :D
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
User avatar
PcBuilder14
 
Posts: 1754
Joined: Jul 3, 2008
Location: Maud, Texas

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:31 am   

Also, can I just feed them turtle food instead of buying fish food?
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
User avatar
PcBuilder14
 
Posts: 1754
Joined: Jul 3, 2008
Location: Maud, Texas

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:36 am   

all your questions could have easily been answered if you just searched a little bit around this website.

also, how old are your turtles? if they are still as small as they are in your avatar, their mouths may only be able to catch a small guppy or so.
-Gabe:D

1.0.1 RES - Raphael & Speedy Claxter

Egg Crate: (n.) turtle owner's best friend, (2) also known as light diffuser, (3) found in local hardware stores in the lighting section
User avatar
Raphulk
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Dec 30, 2007
Location: sunny california

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:39 am   

I did search, but everybody said to get different kinds.
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
User avatar
PcBuilder14
 
Posts: 1754
Joined: Jul 3, 2008
Location: Maud, Texas

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:22 am   

Rosy reds and guppies are most recommended if you look on the "nutrition" part of the site. Really your turtle doesn't NEED fish, it's just a treat. Whatever you do, DON'T get goldfish, they are not good for your turtle. I have had no problems with rosy reds from PetCo or PetSmart in the past, and have put them in a room temp tank, 75 degree tank, and tropical fish (Oscars) tank that was around 80 or a bit warmer. They have never died before they were eaten... so I'm not sure why yours died.
Toby - RES - adopted in December 2007 - 120g tank - Fluval FX5

Max - Pit Bull/Irish Setter/Dalmatian mix - adopted in March 2009
Lola - Pit Bull mix - adopted in June 2009
User avatar
meltedspork
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Feb 13, 2008
Location: Yorkville, IL, USA
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:42 am   

did you acclimate your fish? i always put the bag they are in inside the tank and let it float for around 30 min to get the water temp in the bag the same as in the tank. then i add some tank water to the bag and wait another 15 min. then i put them in the tank. as for your question about feeding them, i dont feed my fish. they just eat things in the tank which helps keep it clean.
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:12 am   

Fish are a lot more sensitive to water qualtiy than turtles are. Could it be that your tank has high levels of ammonia? Do you ever do water testing?
Adrienne!
2.0 RES: Turtley and Samson
1.0 Lutino Cockatiel: Lilly
assorted fish, hermit crabs, bugs etc.
User avatar
octpusgirl8
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1836
Joined: Feb 21, 2007
Location: Baltimore MD

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:02 pm   

No I don't bother with water testing, because I'm not to worried about that, and I don't dechlorinate bacause we don't have chlorine in our water. I'm going to get fish today, so I need to know how many I should get quick! Oh and when I put fish in the tank I cleaned the tank before I did.
1.0.0 RES-Slash
1.2.0 Cat-Abby/Cali/Nemo
0.1.0 Yorkie-Lucie
1.0.0 Jack Russell Terrier-Cooper
I have lots of ideas! Trouble is, most of them suck!
User avatar
PcBuilder14
 
Posts: 1754
Joined: Jul 3, 2008
Location: Maud, Texas

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:17 pm   

im not sure if this is completely true, but i heard if you put the fish in really cold water, it will slow them down (swimming wise) so maybe if you do that your turtles might be able to catch them, but like the others mentioned, its not a necessary part of their diet
-Gabe:D

1.0.1 RES - Raphael & Speedy Claxter

Egg Crate: (n.) turtle owner's best friend, (2) also known as light diffuser, (3) found in local hardware stores in the lighting section
User avatar
Raphulk
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Dec 30, 2007
Location: sunny california

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:08 pm   

Personally, I dont want Tuck to eat the fish I have in the tank. So I wouldnt go with feeder fish unless you just want to see the hunt. But Rosy reds are what you need to get. The turtle will eat about anything but they are cheap feeders. If they died shortly after they were introduced to your tank it is one of three things (just my 2 cents and all have been mentioned):

(1) They were sick from the store and the stress knocked them out
(2) You didnt acclimate them (tho I think this is the least likely - they might get stressed but not necessarily die if healthy), or
(3) like oct.girl said, your water quality is poor - too high in ammonia and they choke basically. You probably do need to test. Even tho the turt is far more tolerant of water quality than fish, dead fish are a signal that you want to check the levels out.

Are you using RO water? Just curious. We have RO and I use a mix of tap and RO. The RO doesnt have chlorine.

If you really want the fish just try a couple of rosies again. Dont get anything too fancy.
User avatar
mat012
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Apr 9, 2008
Location: Aggieland, Texas

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:23 pm   

i dropped 50 bucks on guppies for my tank. i didnt realize i was going to spend that much till i got to the register though so now im going back to the 12 cent rosy reds
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:35 pm   

Daniel3507 wrote:i dropped 50 bucks on guppies for my tank. i didnt realize i was going to spend that much till i got to the register though so now im going back to the 12 cent rosy reds


Wow! Yes, fancy guppies are expensive and aren't sold to be feeders.
Toby - RES - adopted in December 2007 - 120g tank - Fluval FX5

Max - Pit Bull/Irish Setter/Dalmatian mix - adopted in March 2009
Lola - Pit Bull mix - adopted in June 2009
User avatar
meltedspork
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Feb 13, 2008
Location: Yorkville, IL, USA
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:37 pm   

Daniel,

50 bucks for guppies? You must have bought fancy guppies. Those are a few bucks a fish. You can get feeder guppies for like 10-12 cents a fish. Feeder guppies do not have all the nice color, they are dull.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:46 pm   

Maybe you'll get lucky and he wont eat them. Fancy guppies are pretty.
Mom to:

1 RES - Tuck
3 Cats - Max, Theo, & Smokey
Lots of mollies and platies
1 Pleco - Spot
1 brand new betta
AND
2 very wild and creative 6 year old humans!
User avatar
mat012
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Apr 9, 2008
Location: Aggieland, Texas

Post Posted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:15 pm   

I got Roses Reds from Pets mart. When I got some other fish from a different place my turtle died .
Please excuse any spelling and/or grammatical errors. I'm dyslexic.I do my best!
User avatar
joeybsmooth
 
Posts: 1739
Joined: Apr 19, 2008
Location: South Carolina

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 79 guests