Habitat - Indoor :: Basking temps.

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:53 pm   Basking temps.

I put my thermometer thing on my basking area right under the heat bulb. The temp right now says 109 degrees! The bulb is over a metal top like thing. The heat bulb is about 4-5 inches from the dock and is a 60 watt bulb. Should i get a bulb that is less powerful?
3 turtles,
3 cats,
& fish.
User avatar
emma
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: Aug 28, 2007
Location: Minnesota

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:59 pm   

That is a hot!! I know I would try and lower the temp., but if he is basking, and it doesn't seem to irritant him, then I guest it is ok?
Really Awesome Text Loading...
███████████
▒▒▒▒ 78%

RES's
Tank, SCL 3.75in.
Diesel, SCL 3in.
User avatar
N4784N R4613
 
Posts: 1340
Joined: Jul 18, 2006
Location: Phila. PA.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:45 pm   

Can you move the bulb further away?
User avatar
thegrandpoohbah
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Oct 14, 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:28 pm   

4-5 inches seems awfully close to me.
Adrienne!
2.0 RES: Turtley and Samson
1.0 Lutino Cockatiel: Lilly
assorted fish, hermit crabs, bugs etc.
User avatar
octpusgirl8
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1836
Joined: Feb 21, 2007
Location: Baltimore MD

Post Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:56 pm   

4-5 inches is too close. One thing that can happen is that your turtle could touch it accidently and be burned. Another is that he/she could splash cool water on it and cause it to explode. I'm very surprised the turtle will bask at temps that are 109 degrees. it isn't good for them, though. For one thing it will cause excessive skin shedding.

You should move that heat bulb back to 10" or 12". Try to get the temp on the basking platform to the lower 90 degrees. If you get the bulb further away and then it's too cool, you can increase the bulb strength to 75 watts and see if that works. You'll have to experiment some to get it just right.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:59 am   

My light is one of those lights that concentrates in one area (theres a fancy word for it but I can't remember it), it was sold to me because it was supposed to heat the water at the same time as the pet store clerk said I didn't need to worry about a water heater :roll: :roll:

Anyways, my temperature (right under the direct light) is also around 110. But what I do, is I shine it in the utmost corner, so then the largest area on the dock is the perfect temperature and my turtle can choose where he basks. He seems fine with it.

Maybe you can try it that way?
Cim*Forever
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Nov 11, 2007
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:39 pm   

That might work except that the bulb really needs to be further away than 4-5 inches.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:00 pm   

Mine is maybe 15 inches away and that gets me about 90. You really still need a water heater because you cant keep the light on 24 hours a day to heat the water..
User avatar
Vtolds
 
Posts: 437
Joined: Nov 5, 2007
Location: Stowe, VT

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:59 pm   

I will end up making the bulb higher up when I get the bigger tank. Right now I just want them to have as much swimming room as possible. The basking temp seems to be staying at 105 degrees right now and my turtles are still basking. I will try to get a bulb that had less watts. Maybe 40...
3 turtles,
3 cats,
& fish.
User avatar
emma
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: Aug 28, 2007
Location: Minnesota

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 7:42 pm   

Sounds like a plan. Just be sure there is no possible way your turtles can't touch the bulb by - for instance - standing on top of each other.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:04 pm   

Wow - that's hot for a 60w. That's what I use and have problems getting the temp up to near 90. I have it pretty low because my fixture is only rated for 60w.
Tamara
9" f pen cooter-Liza; 5" m RES-Mercer
5.5" f ornate dbt-Lucy
2 3/4" missi map-Jimi; 1.5" painted-Bob
1 dog, 1 cat, 1 bird, 3 kids, 1 hubby

"My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it"
--Mark Twain--
User avatar
FLhaven4strays
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Sep 30, 2007
Location: Holiday, FL

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:36 pm   

Your light is 60 watts, 4-5 inches away from your turtles, and the temp is 105F as measured by a thermometer? Is it possible that the reading is inaccurate? I wonder if a turtle would really bask at that temp for any length of time...
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:25 pm   

I honestly think the thermometer is wrong. When I only use a 60 watt my basking area stays maybe 82 degrees and it is pretty dang close to the dock. Try another thermometer and see what the reading is.
1 Pekin Duck- Bumby
1 Adult Midland Painted Turtle- Nyx
2 Hatchling Midland Painted Turtles- Gimli, Marvolo
1 Normal Gray Cockatiel- Egore
User avatar
Bumby's Mom
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Jul 20, 2007

Post Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:07 pm   

Yep thats what the thermometer thing says...the bulb also says 120 volts.. i will get a link up for the thermometer soon
3 turtles,
3 cats,
& fish.
User avatar
emma
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: Aug 28, 2007
Location: Minnesota


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 133 guests