Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New turtle owner

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:34 am   New turtle owner

I have now 4 baby res turtles. I have a tank builder designing a custom 240 gallon tank for them with a basking area on top. That should be complete within 2 months. I named them, Leonardo, Michaelangelo, Donatello, and Rafael. They are currently in a 10 Gallon home, and should be moving into a 55 gallon home with in a week. I have no experience with turtles, but want to learn all that I can.
Starscream
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Aug 10, 2013
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:13 am   Re: New turtle owner

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to reading and seeing more about your new bale!
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:24 am   Re: New turtle owner

Welcome! Put some pictures, this could be your build thread! :)
FAREWELL DUMBORK
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36799

follow my blog: dumbork.wordpress.com
youtube: pawii29

pictures and video
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32931
User avatar
dumbork14
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Jun 18, 2012
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:44 am   Re: New turtle owner

Lol, I am not building my own tank, I am paying a pro to do it. How do you post pics?
Starscream
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Aug 10, 2013
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:52 am   Re: New turtle owner

Use the img tab or url tab in "Full Editor". We love to see "before" and "after" pics, then. 8)
FAREWELL DUMBORK
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36799

follow my blog: dumbork.wordpress.com
youtube: pawii29

pictures and video
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32931
User avatar
dumbork14
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Jun 18, 2012
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:49 pm   Re: New turtle owner

You can also link outside pictures, check my signature.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:53 am   Re: New turtle owner

Image

That is Mikey, Donny, and Leo this morning

And Raph this morning

Image
Starscream
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Aug 10, 2013
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:03 am   Re: New turtle owner

Haha, got them up, now maybe I will appear to be less of an idiot. ;-)
Starscream
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Aug 10, 2013
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:18 pm   Re: New turtle owner

Ok, I maybe completely dumb, but I had my wife take a soft toothbrush to that paint to get it off of Donny and his shell is soft. So I thought that he was dying. I grabbed Mikey and he has the same. You can just feel a little give to the shell. These turtles are basking all the time, and they have a calcium block thingy as recommended. Is this normal? The spine, center of the turtle is solid on all of them. I have never pushed on the shell before. I may have just never noticed. These turtles are a month or a month and a half old
Starscream
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Aug 10, 2013
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:09 am   Re: New turtle owner

Why was there paint? A hatchling shell will be slightly pliable. Basking is good, but use something besides a calcium block... a good pellet is where to start. Do they have a UVB light?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:33 am   Re: New turtle owner

To be able to tell them apart was the reason there is paint, but it is way too much. The shells I think are soft like they are because they are hatchlings. They eat well, pellets and meat. They have uvb, and 3 of the 4 bask most of the day in it.
Starscream
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Aug 10, 2013
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:41 am   Re: New turtle owner

I suppose that I should add, that is nail polish not paint. Either way there is way too much on them and I wanted to remove it.
Starscream
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Aug 10, 2013
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:06 pm   Re: New turtle owner

If you take a good look at the makings on the plastron (bottom shell), you'll notice that the patterns are unique like a fingerprint. It'll be brown and blotchy when they're older but by then you will be able to easily tell them apart.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:55 am   Re: New turtle owner

Welcome to the foum!
We are here to help and learn from each other.
Your little ones are adorable!
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:39 am   Re: New turtle owner

Thank you, I think they are the neatest things ever.
Starscream
 
Posts: 318
Joined: Aug 10, 2013
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Gender: Male

Next

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 89 guests