General Care Discussion :: Turtles sleeping during the day-are they sick?!

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:06 pm   Turtles sleeping during the day-are they sick?!

I have 2 Red Eared Sliders, one is maybe 5.5 inches in length and the other one is 4 in. I've had them since August. They're in a 55 gallon tank. Temperature set at 77 F. They have a big basking spot with a 160W UVA/UVB Heat bulb. The basking light is on a timer that goes from 10am-8pm. Giving them 10 hours of basking light. They've got two Aquaclear filters, a 20-30 gallon filter and a 10-15 gallon filter. As the filtration system is not ideal I do regular water changes. Just last week I did a 50% Water change and plan to do another one. The water I use is filtered water, the filtered water I drink, so there shouldn't be any massively bad particles or substances in the water for them. They get fed ReptoMin pellets daily (I'm cutting it back to once every other day) and they get Red Leaf Lettuce to graze on daily, occasionally they'll get a mix of Romaine and Kale instead of the Red Leaf Lettuce.

The issue: They've been sleeping on the opposite end of the tank as the heater and the filters, during the day for a couple hours a day for the past two weeks. I haven't made any severe changes to their environment (besides cleaning the filters and doing water changes, if that counts as changing their environment even) so I'm just concerned on if they're sick or something. I've checked them both for injuries and there's no sign of anything like that. They don't appear to be sick. They bask regularly and swim around quite regularly too but they've just been sleeping at the bottom of the tank a lot. Not only that but they normally gobble up their greens and lately they've been ignoring them. It's like they're sick of greens or something. So, I changed it up and gave them Kale and Romaine but they didn't even bother with it.

Possible reason: I went away two weeks ago and left my turtles with no one to look after them (I know, I know, I'm a horrible turtle mom! :( ). However, they were left with half a head of red leaf lettuce to graze from and they were given about five or six Turtle Chases Floating Treats (Clam flavored) so they'd have something else to snack on while I was gone. I left them for maybe 6 full days. When I came home they seemed to be perfectly fine. No injuries or any signs of sickness or anything. They had their basking light on a timer so they had that while I was away. When I came home I immediately did a massive water change (and cleaned the filters) to get the water quality back where it should be.

Am I doing something wrong? I've had these guys since August and they've never behaved this way. They don't show any signs of aggression towards each other. (Unless you count fluttering. My smaller turtle fluttered his hands in the face of my bigger one but she just sort of pushed him away and I haven't seen them do it since. Naturally they could be doing it when I'm not around but I've been spending a lot of time watching them. And there hasn't been any nipping or anything but I am watching them carefully to see if there's any harassment going on.)
Is the water temperature in the tank too cold? Too warm? Is it a water quality issue? Are they sick? Are my turtles, god forbid, dying or something? I know it's January and it's freezing outside so maybe their "natural instincts" have kicked in a bit and their bodies are slowing down a bit for winter? I know that doesn't make much sense because they've got a heater and the air temperature of my room is really pretty warm because of the heat that lamp gives off so it's not cold for them at all.

Please help, I don't want anything bad to happen to my turtles. I really do love the wee ones.

Also, I know I'm going to have to get a bigger tank. I understand that I might have to separate my turtles as well if they start fighting/harassing each other. So, I am prepared to do that but for now they seem to like spending time with each other and I'd really rather not separate them if I didn't have to. They're still young (albeit, a little big from being overfed :oops: but I'm cutting back on feeding them so much because it's not healthy for them).

Thank you!

-A very concerned turtle mom.
2 RES -Olive & Scooter
1 Mississippi Map- Pike
1 Dogs, 3 Cats, 2 Bettas, 1 African Dwarf Frog, multiple African Cichlids, and-finally-1 Pleco.
User avatar
Wolfsbane1701
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Oct 2, 2012
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:07 pm   Re: Turtles sleeping during the day-are they sick?!

Is there any possibility that something is disturbing them at night?

A while back my turtle was sleeping during the day - on and off basking site - I was puzzled, until I realized that my hamster's wheel was squeaking more than usual. Turtles aren't usually sensitive to sound, however it's possible he mistook the squeaking for a predator. Once I fixed that, he went back to his normal sleep schedule.
User avatar
JimmyLo
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Dec 3, 2012
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:56 am   Re: Turtles sleeping during the day-are they sick?!

It's probably nothing... has there been any recent water changes or a new UVB light?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:49 am   Re: Turtles sleeping during the day-are they sick?!

Well, I've been staying up a little later than normal. Till around 12 or so which mean's I've got a light on, so that's probably keeping them up. However I sleep until 10 so that still gives them plenty of time to sleep and my room is really dark during the day time (until I get up anyway). But I'll fix my sleep schedule and see how things work out.
Last week there was a 50% water change but their UVA/UVB heat bulb is the same it's always been.
Hopefully it's just a sleeping issue because they don't seem to be sick or anything. I'll keep everyone posted and let you know how things go.
Thank you! :)
2 RES -Olive & Scooter
1 Mississippi Map- Pike
1 Dogs, 3 Cats, 2 Bettas, 1 African Dwarf Frog, multiple African Cichlids, and-finally-1 Pleco.
User avatar
Wolfsbane1701
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Oct 2, 2012
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:22 am   Re: Turtles sleeping during the day-are they sick?!

I would say its nothing to worry about. My turtles sleep whenever they want now. I think its because its winter time.I have my lights timed to turn on/off according to actual sunrise/sunset.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
User avatar
Kansasslider
 
Posts: 3043
Joined: May 10, 2012
Location: Manhattan,Kansas.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:09 pm   Re: Turtles sleeping during the day-are they sick?!

Ditto - Penelope decided to make me crazy by sleeping on her dock at night...for weeks. Then she cleaned up her act and started sleeping in the water at night.
Now, during the day she'll sink like a bottom feeder and take a snooze for an hour or two. She recently started playing climb-up-on-the-dock-dive-off-dock around and around for an hour or so.
I think she is trying to keep me on my toes, since she didn't get my undivided attention for a spell.
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
User avatar
penelope
 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:34 pm   Re: Turtles sleeping during the day-are they sick?!

abnormal activity by a female usually means they are gravid, sleeping during the day .... not really that abnormal! So i would bet it is nothing!

As for the leaving for a week, that is a common practice, turtles can go weeks without food (which isn't advised) most owners do what you did, overload on food and go. They will be fine.
2 Res: Athena & Zelda
User avatar
CactusJohn5
 
Posts: 277
Joined: Dec 15, 2011
Gender: Male


Return to General Care Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 186 guests