Habitat - Indoor :: Cork Bark?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:44 pm   Cork Bark?

Lookin for a slab or cork bark to make as a new basking area. Has to be at-least 13" in one direction. Everywhere I've checked doesn't have any.

None on eBay, (tillystuff doens't sell anymore)
None on Amazon.
Called about 10 local greenhouses/nurseries and they have none either. I'm at a loss here. I may have to make my own from eggcrate, but I was hoping i wouldn't have to...
Red Eared Slider - Chang - 4" Female!
Follow Chang on Facebook! ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chang-Chin-Sung/226925757373345
Turtle Food Poll ----> http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31000
User avatar
ChangTang
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:19 pm   Re: Cork Bark?

Do you have Petco nearby?
Austin
Little Rock, Arkansas
1.2.0 Eastern Box Turtle (2011)
0.0.1 Rio Grande Red Ear Slider (2011)
0.0.1 Belize Slider (2011)
0.0.1 Yellow Bellied Slider (2011)
0.0.1 Mexican Slider (2011)
**Looking for adult Southern or Western Painted Turtles**
austinl01
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Aug 7, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:21 pm   Re: Cork Bark?

Austin
Little Rock, Arkansas
1.2.0 Eastern Box Turtle (2011)
0.0.1 Rio Grande Red Ear Slider (2011)
0.0.1 Belize Slider (2011)
0.0.1 Yellow Bellied Slider (2011)
0.0.1 Mexican Slider (2011)
**Looking for adult Southern or Western Painted Turtles**
austinl01
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Aug 7, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:15 pm   Re: Cork Bark?

Local fish/aquarium/reptile stores will likely have it. I'm sure there are other ebayers that have it too...
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:39 pm   Re: Cork Bark?

I did see the ZooMed versions of it around the internet but I didn't think that was usable for a basking area.
Red Eared Slider - Chang - 4" Female!
Follow Chang on Facebook! ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chang-Chin-Sung/226925757373345
Turtle Food Poll ----> http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31000
User avatar
ChangTang
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:14 pm   Re: Cork Bark?

I have the Zoo Med cork bark floating in my stock tank. My hatchlings get on it and bask in the sun with no problems.
Austin
Little Rock, Arkansas
1.2.0 Eastern Box Turtle (2011)
0.0.1 Rio Grande Red Ear Slider (2011)
0.0.1 Belize Slider (2011)
0.0.1 Yellow Bellied Slider (2011)
0.0.1 Mexican Slider (2011)
**Looking for adult Southern or Western Painted Turtles**
austinl01
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Aug 7, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:54 pm   Re: Cork Bark?

Well I was looking for one to wedge on the tank, but none the less I guess it should work! Thanks!
Red Eared Slider - Chang - 4" Female!
Follow Chang on Facebook! ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chang-Chin-Sung/226925757373345
Turtle Food Poll ----> http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31000
User avatar
ChangTang
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:46 am   Re: Cork Bark?

You can cut it and wedge it in the tank.
Austin
Little Rock, Arkansas
1.2.0 Eastern Box Turtle (2011)
0.0.1 Rio Grande Red Ear Slider (2011)
0.0.1 Belize Slider (2011)
0.0.1 Yellow Bellied Slider (2011)
0.0.1 Mexican Slider (2011)
**Looking for adult Southern or Western Painted Turtles**
austinl01
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Aug 7, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:41 am   Re: Cork Bark?

I need an 18 inch piece of this stuff and I feel your pain - can't find it anywhere.
seanb1979
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sep 23, 2010

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:44 pm   Re: Cork Bark?

Have you tried ebay?
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:31 pm   Re: Cork Bark?

I've heard the xtra-large zoo med natural cork bark flats can be that big. Of course, it's 26 bucks, and you never really know what you are getting as every piece is different.
5 inch RES male named Jordtim
Hardware: 75 gallon tank (21"H X 48"W X 18"D), FX5 filter with veipacray media setup, pool filter sand substrat, TurtleSafe halogen heat/UVA lamp and ReptiGlo 5.0 UVB lamp in ZooMed Dual Dome Fixture.
PridgNYC
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Aug 24, 2011
Location: Port Washington, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:54 am   Re: Cork Bark?

There's a place near me here called Chicago Reptile House. They have cork bark for fairly cheap.
Their website is http://www.chicagoreptile.net/

You can try and email / call them to see if they will sell over the phone and ship.

Or if you want I can take a look next time I'm down there and grab something for you and ship it. You send me a check or paypal or something.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:03 am   Re: Cork Bark?

Veipa that would be great if you could do that! I'll check out the website and see. Oh, and I have a PayPal.
Red Eared Slider - Chang - 4" Female!
Follow Chang on Facebook! ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chang-Chin-Sung/226925757373345
Turtle Food Poll ----> http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31000
User avatar
ChangTang
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:41 pm   Re: Cork Bark?

Try calling first and see if they'll sell to you. If not, then we can work out some kind of arrangement and I'll take a trip over there.
User avatar
VeipaCray
Moderator
 
Posts: 4311
Joined: Aug 31, 2009
Location: Naperville, IL
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:35 pm   Re: Cork Bark?

Okay i'll let you know.
Red Eared Slider - Chang - 4" Female!
Follow Chang on Facebook! ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chang-Chin-Sung/226925757373345
Turtle Food Poll ----> http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31000
User avatar
ChangTang
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Gender: Male

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 202 guests