Habitat - Indoor :: Want to make a custom basking platform

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:13 pm   Want to make a custom basking platform

Currently I'm just using a zoomed large floating platform, and I have a custom 'beach' made of plexiglass and filled with sand. I want to upgrade the floater to something better looking and a bit bigger. I was thinking about forming one using material from hot tub insulation. Anyone ever had experience with this in an aquarium once it fully cures? It feels very similar to the stuff used by pet supply cos for their floating docks.

Also how sturdy is cork bark if you were to drill a couple holes in it to run metal guuides through the back? (like most other floaters are setup) I don't really wanna wedge it width-wise in my tank and would rather have it oriented length-wise.
seanb1979
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sep 23, 2010

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:43 pm   Re: Want to make a custom basking platform

It's sturdiness will depend on the thickness of the piece and where you drill the hole. So part of the tank is sectioned off for a "beach"?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:32 pm   Re: Want to make a custom basking platform

Sort of. It a hanging beach, I guess you could say. Plexiglass box framed by pvc pipe. My largest female likes to dig in it with her hind legs, so I assume she may lay eggs in there once the male is old enough to get it on with her.
seanb1979
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sep 23, 2010

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:27 pm   Re: Want to make a custom basking platform

Could you post a picture of your current setup?
User avatar
happycamper
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: May 5, 2010
Location: Idaho
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:24 pm   Re: Want to make a custom basking platform

happycamper wrote:Could you post a picture of your current setup?


sure.. doing a water change atm so thats why its low.. my camera also kinda sucks
Attachments
2011-08-13 15.18.20.jpg
2011-08-13 15.17.50.jpg
sand
2011-08-13 15.17.36.jpg
floating dock on the left
seanb1979
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Sep 23, 2010


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 113 guests