I am working on a new tank setup. It is in a 75 gallon with an ATBA. The tank that I bought was used (found it on craigslist) and had what I think is a makeshift center brace. The plastic trim has absolutely no indication of ever having a center brace, but there was a 10" wide, 3/4" thick piece of glass siliconed into the top with a little rubber lip running down the middle. The glass in the actual aquarium seems to be 3/8" thick as well. The lip does seem complimentary to the color of the plastic trim, which has a wood grain look to it. Overall, it just isn't like anything I've seen before and I think it was added afterwards, but what do I know? Here is a really bad picture of the removed brace:

Anyways, we thought we could work the ramp around it, but we just finished up the structure for the ATBA and the brace is so big that it's effecting the ramp clearance despite our efforts. We removed the glass today with much effort, and I'm planning on replacing it with an acrylic brace that is 4" wide, 1/4" thick. (I wanted to just cut the current brace, but I haven't found anywhere that will do it without charging too much money.) I just wondered if anyone has seen a tank that comes like I have described above, and if the replacement center brace will suffice. I haven't been able to find anything to calculate the size of brace that might be needed. My dad is a structural engineer and feels that 2" would suffice, but is appeasing me by doubling the size lol. He seems unconcerned about the size and I'm always inclined to trust him... he's a very smart man.
Has anyone run into a similar situation or have any thoughts?

