Habitat - Indoor :: Apartment and pets?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:23 pm   Apartment and pets?

Okay here it goes,

Me and my partner found an apartment! It's finally time to move out of this dark basement suite and into an actual apartment building. I'm so stoked! But, the landlord did say NO PETS are allowed. When we went to look at the apartment, we had realized that the previous owner had snuck in his cat. So the landlord continued on to say that absolutely no pets are allowed.

Now we said we would take the apartment because i can not stand it in our little basement suite anymore, but I'm terrified about what would happen if we snuck in Niko our beautiful turtle. There is no way that I am giving him up. I just can't. I will read the agreement that we sign very carefully when we move in. Hopefully we can move him in without people noticing, nost importantly, the landlord. I am nervous. i just don't know if it will be okay or not!

I was wondering your opinions on this situation, and if you any of you have had past experience with keeping a turtle and living in an apartment. Any feedback, comments, or suggestions are always welcome. I love you guys and I love this website.
User avatar
my.lovely.turtle.
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Aug 3, 2010

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:36 pm   Re: Apartment and pets?

ok, i know exactly what will happen, my parents own rental properties with a no cats or dogs but small declawed pets are allowed policy. first odds r if someone finds out they will tell the landlord bc a lot of ppl move into apartments with a no pet policy for a reason. and the landlord will tell you either remove the pet or they will go through the eviction process. the eviction process will end in court and you will lose bc its a no pet policy and u have a pet. you will have to pay the court cost and you will be evicted. there is no winning in this for you. you should really just find a place that will allow you to have pets. or talk to your landlord and see if they will allow aquariums.
65 Gallon
-1 RES (Myrtle)
-1 Pleco (unnamed)
-1 four lined pimelodus catfish (unnamed)
-1 shubunkin (unnamed)
29 Gallon Planted Tank
-3 cory cats
-# guppies!
User avatar
rsour24
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Sep 7, 2009
Location: PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:25 pm   Re: Apartment and pets?

rsour24 wrote:talk to your landlord and see if they will allow aquariums.


This is exactly what you need to do.Tell the landlord that you have a turtle tank and that you can't take the place unless the turtle is allowed.
When they say " no pets" they're most likely talking about cats and dogs that scratch the floor and can have accidents in the place.A turtle does neither of those.
User avatar
jozzep
 
Posts: 1497
Joined: Feb 24, 2008
Location: West Orange,NJ

Post Posted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:24 am   Re: Apartment and pets?

The apt. (coop) I just bought also said no pets... except fish are ok. (I think they're worried about noise, smell etc). It also said, no "exotics" I'm not sure what they consider exotic so.... I decided to tell them at the board interview that I have a rather large fish tank, if that was going to be a problem and they said NO PROBLEM. lol. So.... I brought my fish tank... I just never mentioned the turtle in case they weren't too happy about it. The super has seen it though and he loooved the turtle and the set up. hah. Says his daughter has always wanted a turtle.
1 RES - Tomi (75 gal)
1 Leopard Gecko - Leia (20 gal)
2 Fancy goldfish, 1 bn pleco (40 gal breeder)
https://www.facebook.com/varboleda6
User avatar
vear
 
Posts: 769
Joined: Sep 2, 2009
Location: New York
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:46 am   Re: Apartment and pets?

i would definitely read the "no pets" policy to see what exactly the landlord considers "pets". my last apartment had a no pet policy, including cats, dogs, fish birds, small mammals, etc. etc. i was up-front with my landlord and said that i had a 10 gallon fish tank (filbert was itty-bitty back then) and she said that it was ok. the best thing to do is to be up-front and honest with your landlord. i would not try to sneak in niko and risk being kicked out. :?
My Babies are:
Filbert... given to a new home :(
Johnny - DSH tabby
Cid - DSH calico
KatieSmeltzer
 
Posts: 224
Joined: May 15, 2009

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:49 pm   Re: Apartment and pets?

The move in date is October First. Then I get to read the agreement. Oh lordy I am nervous. I cannot give Niko up. NO way!
User avatar
my.lovely.turtle.
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Aug 3, 2010

Post Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:22 pm   Re: Apartment and pets?

You need to read the agreement or ask the question before you move in, why would love move in before knowing the answer? That makes little to no sense at all, that is not a good way to handle this situation.
methos75
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sep 24, 2010

Post Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:42 pm   Re: Apartment and pets?

Its hard to explain but we have to take this apartment. and we did. Because we cant live in someone elses basement forever. It's hard, I know I sound like stupid idiot thankyou but I have a good reason.
User avatar
my.lovely.turtle.
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Aug 3, 2010

Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:09 pm   Re: Apartment and pets?

I would only let them know it's an aquarium, I doubt they have a specific mention of turtles.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:31 pm   Re: Apartment and pets?

No pets are allowed in my apartment building. But I have turtles. My landlord has no idea about them, but I'm pretty sure aquariums don't really count. Turtles or any other smallish reptiles or fish really pose no risk to anyone's allergies. They don't make noise and they don't trash anything outside their tank. The only reason I haven't told or asked my landlord is cos I've never even seen him. But it's definitely a good idea to ask.
User avatar
AllTheCandies
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Aug 20, 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:48 am   Re: Apartment and pets?

My apartment says I need written permission for all pets, when I went to get permission for my turtle they said that didn't count as a pet and I didn't need permission.
User avatar
Jeremy1026
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Sep 20, 2010
Location: Towson, Maryland

Post Posted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:02 pm   Re: Apartment and pets?

hmmm. Thanks for all your inputs!! Very appreciated... if anyone has anything else to say that would be great. Well we moved in yesterday and brought in the tank. We didn't mention anything to the landlord yet. Bad, I know. I read the agreement very carefully and all it did say about animals is "NO PETS". Thats all that was on the agreement. Nothing about what kind of pets, or what would happen if a pet was found in the apartment.
User avatar
my.lovely.turtle.
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Aug 3, 2010

Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:07 pm   Re: Apartment and pets?

you could always pull a "these aren't pets. These are science!"
User avatar
AllTheCandies
 
Posts: 841
Joined: Aug 20, 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:13 pm   Re: Apartment and pets?

AllTheCandies wrote:you could always pull a "these aren't pets. These are science!"


Haha sounds good! :)
User avatar
my.lovely.turtle.
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Aug 3, 2010

Post Posted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:20 pm   Re: Apartment and pets?

Looks nice... they're pretty energetic :)
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 96 guests