Habitat - Indoor :: How do I move them?? (Warning - Totally Noob question)

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:10 pm   How do I move them?? (Warning - Totally Noob question)

I have a couple of baby RES in a ten gallon tank. They have been enduring my newness pretty well, but I'm afraid they are getting sick of being manhandled. Can someone advise me how to move my turtles (whoops, I mean my son's turtles) around without scaring them for life? Should I use a net? Try to take all the water out of the tank first? (I'm using a bucket currently so that freaks them out). Reach my hand in and grab them?

Sorry for the dumb question.. :roll: And this should be in Genral Care.. dagnabbit..
jason32835
 
Posts: 22
Joined: May 6, 2010

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:27 pm   

Last edited by LilTurtSquirt on Sun May 23, 2010 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
LilTurtSquirt
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Feb 16, 2010

Post Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:42 pm   

i like to try and scoop under them and put my other hand on top and apply pressure. make sure htey feel like they have a lot of support.

i can always tell if hteyre uncomfortable if they hide in their shell.

but because their babies, they'll probably hide anyway.
savvy / nowornevercrew.com
ninja turtles - squirtle + biggie.
savage Rock
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Apr 9, 2010
Location: Surrey, BC CANADA

Post Posted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:10 am   

Thanks guys.. I feel better about snatching the boogers up now knowing that is the approved method. ;)
jason32835
 
Posts: 22
Joined: May 6, 2010

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:47 pm   

We have alot of traffic in our house and our turtle was raised in a "bare minimum" tank in the most active spot of our house. So not only is she used to movement, she will accually swim up and greet strangers, or more likely beg for food from them...

My GF also took her to the park alot once she was about the size of a softball.

If you want playfull, non shy turtles, you may try something like that...

As for moving them, we just washed our hands really well (rinse well too!), then picked her up. Use two hands. If they look like they are freaking out they are probably just wanting to explore. When ours got startled she would "turtle up" in her shell, not try to flee.

She has hiding places in her tank now, but she usually just uses them to corner prey. She is easily startled, but never hides.

Ours may just be wierd tho... It seems like everyone else talks about thier turtles like constantly frightened pet rocks... If our house were filled with water... Skippy would be a lap turtle...
GoGoCharlie
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Apr 13, 2010


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 116 guests