Habitat - Indoor :: 100 Gallon Tank??

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:13 pm   100 Gallon Tank??

So I'm getting Penelope's new home today and the ad said the tank is 100 gallons. The measurements are 4 feet long, 1 1/2 feet tall and a foot wide. I'm thinking there is no way this is a 100 gallon tank. Anyone have any idea how big it may actually be?? I will post pics once I get it and set it up and anything is better than the 10 gallon he is in now (only been in it for a week as I knew it was too small)
Male RES - Penelope(yes I know it's a girls name!!)
3 Ferrets - Jelly, Frodo, and Josephine
1 Cat - Lennon
More Reptiles to come
"I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity"
User avatar
Penelope75
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Oct 23, 2009
Location: New Hampshire

Post Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:17 pm   

umm sounds like a 50 gal actually.....
2 red ear sliders, 2 green iguanas, 1 Chinese Water Dragon

I love Basketball And Reptiles
User avatar
freshprince2146
 
Posts: 794
Joined: Sep 28, 2009
Location: Queens,NY

Post Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:22 pm   

Thanks...I knew it couldn't be a 100 gallon...How long do you think a male RES can stay in a tank that size? He's about 4 1/2 - 5 inches now and I'm guessing about two years old and please correct me if I'm wrong on the age as I really have no idea.
Male RES - Penelope(yes I know it's a girls name!!)
3 Ferrets - Jelly, Frodo, and Josephine
1 Cat - Lennon
More Reptiles to come
"I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity"
User avatar
Penelope75
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Oct 23, 2009
Location: New Hampshire

Post Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:23 pm   

it's 37 in UK gallon, and 45 in US gallon, see for yourself ^^
http://www.fishlore.com/ConversionCalculator.htm
User avatar
felix1318
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Jun 16, 2009

Post Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:38 pm   

Felix - Thanks for the link...Great tool!! One more question. The filter I just bought is rated for a 100 gallon tank...That should work well in a tank this size? I also have a small internal that I will be putting in with it to help out mostly with biological filtration as the canister is for mechanical/chemical only. Also the heater I have is only 50 watts but in a 10 gallon I had too shut it off as on low it was making the water too warm. Do anyone know if I put it in the new tank on high, will it heat the water? Sorry so many questions just trying to get this right.
Male RES - Penelope(yes I know it's a girls name!!)
3 Ferrets - Jelly, Frodo, and Josephine
1 Cat - Lennon
More Reptiles to come
"I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity"
User avatar
Penelope75
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Oct 23, 2009
Location: New Hampshire

Post Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:42 pm   

its like 40 gallon tank..

http://www.redearslider.com/calculator.html

unless like mine is 4 feet long, 2 feet wide and 1.5 feet tall equal to 90 gallons.
*Kiki & Riri ~ 2 Female RES 5' - I lost Riri
* 2 Yellow Bellied Slider - One left
* 1 Chinese Golden Thread Turtle - Lost
*Yellow ~ Female Malayan Box Turtle
*Macho Kitty ~ 12 years male DSH Cat - RIP Feb 2012
User avatar
Azfar
 
Posts: 1282
Joined: Apr 23, 2008
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:57 pm   

Your filter will work fine I believe. If the tank is 40g your turtle has already outgrown it but it's better than the 10g. :) What size tank does the heater go to? Like mine covers all the way up to 55g.
Sabrina, mom of
William 5 yrs
Joshua 1 month
Mikey (turtle) 5.5"
SabrinaF
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Sep 30, 2009
Location: Minnesota

Post Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:21 pm   

OK so I have the tank and I got it cleaned and set up and measured it in the process and it's actually pretty close to 75 gallons. Best of all Penelope is LOVING it!!! Even better news is he is finally basking and with me in the room even!!! Yay me...I'm so excited!!!! Now if only I could get the filter to work I'd be good to go.
Oh and the heater is only made for a ten gallon (55 Watts) But was actually too hot for the ten gallon on low...Not sure if it will work on high in the new tank. I'll give it a day or two as long as the water doesn't get too cold and if the temp is good I'll continue using it...if not I'll go get a new one!!
Male RES - Penelope(yes I know it's a girls name!!)
3 Ferrets - Jelly, Frodo, and Josephine
1 Cat - Lennon
More Reptiles to come
"I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity"
User avatar
Penelope75
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Oct 23, 2009
Location: New Hampshire

Post Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:12 pm   

I'm new at the picture sharing so bare with me!!

Image[/url]
Image
Image
Image
Image

Any suggestions...Does it look OK?
Male RES - Penelope(yes I know it's a girls name!!)
3 Ferrets - Jelly, Frodo, and Josephine
1 Cat - Lennon
More Reptiles to come
"I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity"
User avatar
Penelope75
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Oct 23, 2009
Location: New Hampshire

Post Posted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:01 pm   

How big is the hole of the mesh? You might want to consider cutting a hole under
the basking light, so full UVB goes through.

My suggestions:
- Put the heater flat on the bottom.
- Move the filter tubing to the back of the tank, so the front view is clear.
- The tank will look nicer if you set a background.
RES - Ramen <f> (51/4")
RES - Heine <f> (43/4")
Asian Leaf Turtle - unnamed <m> (53/4")
measured at Nov 24, 2012
< my turtles' pics >
User avatar
Kemul
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Aug 31, 2008
Location: Yogyakarta, Indonesia
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:01 am   

I think the tank should be supported around the entire frame. Overhanging will cause extra stress on the glass.
Can you cut a board to fit under the tank?
cristancanoe
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Oct 4, 2009

Post Posted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:49 pm   

Quick way to figure out volume of a tank on the go, measure dimensions in inches:
(length x width x height) / 231 = gallons

Also, I agree 100% with cristancanoe. With the tank not properly supported, it's possible for the tank to crack, and you'd end up with 75 gallons of water all over the floor! A thick piece of plywood cut to size put on top of the desk will give it some better support.

The heater may or may not work for that size of tank, depending on what the average room temperature is. If the room temp is usually in the low to mid 70's then it should be fine. Just make sure you monitor the temps so if you need to you can get a bigger heater.

Also, as Kemul mentioned, you should probably cut a hole in the mesh where the light sits so more UVB light can pass though.

I bet your little guy is loving the upgrade! :D
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:40 pm   

Thanks Everyone!!!
I will be adding support under the tank on so there is no overhang as I really wouldn't want all that water on the floor and I'm sure the landlords wouldn't either!!!
I did add a background which looks much better also moved the filter to the side...Now if I could only get the filter to work properly I'd be good to go!!!
Also went out and bought a new heater and did cut holes in the cover to let the UVB through although my father in law is going to make me a new cover out of eggcrate!!
Also - Kemul - what is the difference in putting the heater on the bottom of the tank or is this just a preference thing?
Male RES - Penelope(yes I know it's a girls name!!)
3 Ferrets - Jelly, Frodo, and Josephine
1 Cat - Lennon
More Reptiles to come
"I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity"
User avatar
Penelope75
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Oct 23, 2009
Location: New Hampshire


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 220 guests