Habitat - Indoor :: fluval 405 with which filter media??

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:36 am   fluval 405 with which filter media??

I purchased a fluval 405 for a very good deal, i paid only 100 for it.

I have 2 baby RES, The tank is only 30 gallon, which filter media do you guys prefer?? they are only 1.5-2 inches long.

Right now they are still sitting in a 10 gal tank with a internal filter, but the water turn cloudy in a day or 2.

any suggestion??
chinkieboy
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Oct 11, 2009

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:25 am   

When I was using my 404 I had:
Bottom: Fluval prefilter + coarse filter pad
Middle: Carbon
Middle: Biomax
Top: Biomax


I don't recommend the fluval prefilter though, the holes are too big to be of any use. I would say use at least two levels for biomedia, and you could even do 3. Feel free to try different combinations and see what works for you.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:39 am   

I also have a fluval 405. For now I've just been using the media that it came with. From what I've read, the more bacterial filter media you have, the better so just try whatever works best in your setup! The filter works wonders!!

Just a little advice though....You might want to direct the outtake kind of low, or buy the spray bar, otherwise it's going to be impossible to rest food at the top of the tank. Also, tuck the intake into a corner or something so your babies don't get sucked near it.

The filter that we have is pretty powerful. I'm pretty sure it's made for tanks up to 100 gals. I have it in my 55 + gallon, and it moves all the plants around and stirs up the water constantly, so I can only imagine how stir crazy it's going to make your 30 gallon. Be careful with the intake because you would hate for one of your babies to get stuck to it and drown.

Enjoy the filter though, it has made my tank cleaning 10x easier!!
Dad to:

1 Pastel Red Eared Slider - Baxter
1 Diamondback Terrapin - Squirt
1 Yellow Lab - Sadie
2 Cats - Maximus & Jodie
User avatar
Jeff
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Jul 15, 2009
Location: Illinois

Post Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:16 am   

ok thanks for all the info~ I will try to get the out take spray or some other stuff. :D
chinkieboy
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Oct 11, 2009

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:00 pm   

when you say direct the intake kinda low, is that mean lower to the bottom of the tank??
chinkieboy
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Oct 11, 2009

Post Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:28 pm   

I feed my turtle on side of the tank only. And on this side I have the intake in the corner, about 1 1/2" -2" from the bottom of the tank. The only reason I say to keep it low and discrete is you would hate for the suction of the intake to grab ahold of your turtle and keep him there.
Dad to:

1 Pastel Red Eared Slider - Baxter
1 Diamondback Terrapin - Squirt
1 Yellow Lab - Sadie
2 Cats - Maximus & Jodie
User avatar
Jeff
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Jul 15, 2009
Location: Illinois

Post Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:49 am   Re: fluval 405 with which filter media??

yea but does the 405 actually have the power to keep a baby turtle down?
georgeman21222
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sep 4, 2010

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:23 am   Re: fluval 405 with which filter media??

Yes, and it could be disruptive in a small tank.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 56 guests