Habitat - Indoor :: Help!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:51 pm   Help!

Hello all
sorry I have not been on the forum for a really long time.
I'm trying to find out what going on with my tank (125 gal) We are using a Eheim filter (up to 125 gal) and XP 2 I know I need get second filter to replace the small xp2.
Her tank is getting very dirty very quickly which means i have to to a heavy cleaning every week. (removing water cleaning filters, re filling tank) this normally has not been a problem but I'm now seven months pregnant. I'm just not going to have time to do a major clean on her tank every week ( takes me about hour). During summer we just use the garden hose to refill the tank, but winter coming and that means bailing water into the tank :(
-should I buy new filter a second Eheim? or is something else I can try?
User avatar
NicoleBell
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: Edmonton

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:02 pm   

It depends upon your budget. If you're not worried about the money you can probably get away with buying a top-of-the-line canister filter that will keep your whole tank clean by itself. If you're on a budget you may consider getting another one of the same Eheims that you have.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:05 pm   

Eheims are a top of the line filter. A while ago I found this review comparing the Fluval FX5 and the Eheim 2080 (both big boys in the filter world).
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7080

I personally have 2 FX5s in my 75 and 90 gallon tanks, and I love them. I do a partial water change every few weeks, and only clean the filter maybe every 3 months. Now, I'm not sure how that would translate to a 125g tank, but you could always keep the xp2 or Eheim in addition to the FX5.

There's also the Fluval G coming out soon, but we don't know what kind of gph it'll have yet.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:53 pm   

N-Bell - It sounds like more gph is in order and some 50% changes until it clears up. The FX5 would do just fine for that size tank. Good Luck!
Things come to those who wait, - Just remember, someone probably got there first!
mike hill
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Mar 29, 2009

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:46 pm   

Thanks!
BullDog - thanks for link, I read it before I bought my Eheim, I love it compared my xp it's a breeze to clean.
so maybe I should ask everyone...
How clear is your water?
Should the water be crystal clear (like tap water)?
My water is murky but I see the back of tank fine.
User avatar
NicoleBell
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Oct 17, 2007
Location: Edmonton

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:42 am   

NicoleBell wrote:Thanks!
BullDog - thanks for link, I read it before I bought my Eheim, I love it compared my xp it's a breeze to clean.
so maybe I should ask everyone...
How clear is your water?
Should the water be crystal clear (like tap water)?
My water is murky but I see the back of tank fine.


I have a 6 foot 135 gallon tank, with a 10 gallon sump. It equates to roughly 100 gallons of water when filled to the level where it is. My FX5 has no problem keeping my water crystal clear despite a slight green tint when the refugium can't keep up with algae blooms. I clean the filter about every 2 months, and i do water changes once in blue moon. I highly recommend the FX5, but I'd wait to see how the Fluval G stands up.
-Chris
User avatar
papoopeepoo
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:17 am   

My water stays quite clear. After a while, if I'm lacking on my water changes, it gets a yellowish tinge to it, but once I do a water change it stays crystal clear for quite a while.
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 73 guests