Habitat - Indoor :: Advice on my set up...

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:24 pm   Advice on my set up...

I just got a 55 gallon tank a few days ago. I wont actually be getting the turtle until August, but I want to be prepared. I am hoping to get the Rio Grande(or ornate I think) Red ears from here: http://www.theturtlesource.com/turtle_i ... =100200312
Is august an ok time to get turtles? I know there are certain times you shouldn't get turtles between. Also is this site an alright place to order from? I looked around in a lot of different places to check on reviews and I think turtle source seemed like the place to go. (By the way I live in mid missouri if that will make a difference.)

I bought the tank on craigslist and its a nice tank and will work well. When I got there to pick it up the guy threw in a dome light fixture as well as a two foot or so tube light hood. The dome fixture had a 60 watt ceramic heater in it. Like this: http://store.petside.com/product/reptil ... itter.html

The dome its self is pretty sketchy so I was thinking about possibly replacing it with this here: http://store.petside.com/product/light- ... -heat.html

I'm not sure if I should be looking for a different type of basking light/heater though. I haven't really seen much information on the infrared heating for turtles. I know I need to get another light that will provide the UV rays the turtles need to stay healthy, but this is where I'm really running into trouble. Should I be getting a tub light that will fit into the hood I was given? I read somewhere that these put out less of the needed rays. Any suggestions? Also having trouble finding a filter. I'm kind of looking to get something reasonably cheap but I also want it to be able to do its job. I will be feeding the turtle in a separate tank to keep the eating mess out of the big tank. What ya think?

For the basking area I will be getting the zoo med turtle dock - Large. Here's that: http://store.petside.com/product/reptil ... allon.html

And this is the heater I will be getting: http://store.petside.com/product/aquari ... lons-.html

Also two of these thermometers, one for under the water and one for under the basking light: http://store.petside.com/product/thermo ... meter.html

Once I am given suggestions on the filter and lighting situation, will this set up be suitable for a new turtle? Also would it be advisable to have two of them living in this tank? I've read a few mixed opinions on this but I would like for the turtle to have a companion.

Thanks a ton for any comments or suggestions you can give me.

P.S. if you notice that I might be able to get something cheaper somewhere else that you know of let me know =D trying to not spend a fortune.
Last edited by xstefanx on Tue May 05, 2009 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
xstefanx
 
Posts: 111
Joined: May 4, 2009

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:42 am   

Welcome!

Looks like all your links are dead...

For RES, a regular household incandescent bulb with be fine for heat, no need really to purchase a special bulb or ceramic heater.

For your lighting in general, you've got two options:
1. Have two separate light fixtures, one for UVB and one for heat. There are two types of UVB lights: Compact Fluorescent bulbs which will fit in a regular light socket, or strip fluorescents which will fit in a hood, like you have. Both types come in a 5% (or 5.0) UVB, which is probably the strength you want. It really doesn't matter what type you use. Neither should have anything like glass or plastic between the bulb and the basking area, since very little UVB can pass through glass. I mention this, because I know some hoods have a strip of glass between the bulb and the tank. I think most people on this forum use the CFL UVBs, for ease.
2. Since you've got a 55 gallon tank, you can use a Mercury Vapour Bulb (MVB). MVBs provide both heat and UVB, so you only need one light fixture. They are usually a bit more expensive, but many members here swear by them.

For filtration, there used to be some good deals on eBay for Fluval 404s, but I'm not sure if they're still around. Another good choice would be a Rena XP3. In general, canister filters are recommended over waterfall or internal filters, because they've got more room for media.

The Zoomed turtle docks are OK, and many people use them. But it seems even the large can't hold the weight of an adult RES. If you're a little bit crafty, you can build your own basking area, which will last much longer than the floating dock. There's lots of ideas on the forum, so have a look around.

Turtles don't really need companions. They're much happier to have their own space. RES are notoriously aggressive, and I'm sure their cousins Rio Grande sliders are aggressive too. You're best just sticking with one turtle. A 55 gallon will be great for one RES (or rio) for a few years. You'll probably need to upgrade eventually, but not for a while. For two turtles, you'll have to upgrade your tank in a year. The rule of thumb is 10 gallons of water per 1 inch of shell per turtle. So at 1 year old, RES are about 4", so that means you'd want an 80 gallon tank for two RES.

Sounds like you've got most of your bases covered! That's great that you're doing your research before you get a turtle :D
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:14 pm   

Links should all be fixed now.

Thanks for the advice here. I will just use a regular bulb and get a get a strip bulb for the hood I have for the UV rays. I'll keep a hold of the ceramic heater that was given to me for winter.

After actually having time to look around the site I am considering making my own filter. I put this post on a few different sites to get a wide variety of answers and someone on another site mentioned making one. At the time I thought, No, that sounds a bit complicated for me. Then I just looked over the sticky on this forum talking about doing this and it doesn't look like something I wouldn't be able to handle. Thing is from that thread I'm not getting the full picture of it. Can anyone give me more of a step by step procedure on how to get this working for my 55 gallon tank? (like how big of a container and how the pump attaches and this and that?

Also after more looking around the idea of an above tank basking area sounds really neat to me. I want to think more about it but any suggestions on this would be awesome as well. My girlfriend has cats so I would want there to be a cover over the top to prevent them from getting in, but be removable so I can get in. I also want to make the area visible from at least the front so the turtle is able to be seen basking.

Lots to think about, but at least I have the time to do it.
User avatar
xstefanx
 
Posts: 111
Joined: May 4, 2009

Post Posted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:14 pm   

Kudos for doing research! I got my turt the day a hurricane hit, so I'm still catching up. The sticky's are awesome. As far as the filter goes it would depend on the size of tank you are going to purchase. Buy the biggest you can afford. In my experience just keeping fish aquariums it is better to buy the largest, it's a pain to upgrade. And since you are in the planning stages you have the opportunity to get it right. I am building an ATBA for my turt tank and I have a cat as well as 6 dogs, go to your local hardware store (I don't know where you are located I went to Home Depot) and look for egg crate in the lighting department. It looks like a piece of grating but is much lighter and you can cut it to fit the top of the tank. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
1 RES Barnie, 4 years old
7 dogs, all rescues (Misty, Chewbacca, Lexus, Toby, Sable, Claree, Harley)
1 cat, Eric
trudykurz
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Nov 4, 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:40 am   

Yeah, like I said I have a 55 gallon tank. Got it a few days ago. I've been thinking about the ATBA all night, think I have a good plan set up for it, cant wait to get started. But for now that can wait, I want to try and get this filter made, but need better instructions on how to make it.
User avatar
xstefanx
 
Posts: 111
Joined: May 4, 2009

Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:41 am   

I'm thinking about a 3 gallon bucket and about 250gph pump, does this sound about right?
User avatar
xstefanx
 
Posts: 111
Joined: May 4, 2009

Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:54 am   

I think it is many i try the thing that you said and I think it is too many.
Ecruteak768
 
Posts: 1
Joined: May 10, 2009


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 137 guests