Habitat - Indoor :: Exo Terra basking dock

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:30 pm   

akaghettoraver wrote:yeah, a female is a lot more work than a male res. You have to have a very large setup and then you have to build a nesting site, even if she doesn't breed so she can lay the infertile eggs. I'm building a nesting basking area all in one inside the tank but I still want a open area under the basking area for swimming room! So, I will probable use glass sheets and silicone, to make a basking area that holds sand and grass. But, because of this my tank is going to be unusually large for a single female. I personally think raising a healthy long lived female i way more rewarding.


yea, i believe female RES are harder to raise too. how big is yout tank? i'd love to see your progress on your nesting & basking area! i've been drawing up plans on how to make one, but there are always complications :(. i was consdering glass sheet & silicone too! I was actually thinking of using the nesting area as a basking area too, but i'll see; depends on how much room i have. i have a 50 gallon; i know she should be in a much bigger tank, but it's all i have/can afford for her for now. it is a much better upgrade from her 20 gallon.
1 RES: Crush, 7" long 5 years old
1 hedgehog: Sonic, 7 months old
User avatar
francinemarie
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Sep 20, 2008
Location: US

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:14 pm   

I've never used it, but, I think it's very cool looking.

I might get one someday, especially since we are seeing a good sized turtle not sinking it.
Phryne - Japanese bobtail, 11 y.o.
Hurricane - RES, approx. 19 y.o., 7.00in. long
Typhoon - RES hybrid, approx. 19 y.o., 8 in. long
Sadie - RES, approx. 30+ y.o., 11.5in. long
Sophie - Colombian red tail boa, 15 y.o., 5 ft. long
User avatar
theartbook35
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mar 25, 2009
Location: Connecticut, US
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:39 pm   

Here's a thought. Most of us already own the Zoo Med basking dock I'm assuming. If the time comes that your turtle gets big enough that the large Exo-Terra dock isn't supportive enough, you can silicone the Zoo Med underneath to provide additional buoyancy. I've decided to keep my Zoo Med around so I can do this if it ever becomes necessary.
User avatar
thegrandpoohbah
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Oct 14, 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:52 pm   

My tank is a 4'Lx2-1/2'Wx2'H sorry my signature has the wrong sex on it I have a female not male. I never noticed that I wrote that! I'm gonna get another one built with 3/4" glass measuring 5'Lx3'Wx30"H. That should allow enough swim room and basking room, if I decide to add a male to try out breeding. If not then she has a good size to her self:)
1 Female RES 6 in.
4'x2-1/2'x2' Tank
1 Mangrove Monitor 3.5 ft
10'x10'x6' Enclosure
User avatar
akaghettoraver
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Sep 28, 2006
Location: Honduras

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:05 pm   

theartbook35 wrote:I've never used it, but, I think it's very cool looking.

I might get one someday, especially since we are seeing a good sized turtle not sinking it.


yea i've been debating on whether or not i should get one for my RES. i'm just worried about it being unable to support her because she may grow a couple inches more :P. i really do like that it isn't suction cups becuse eventually they lose their suction & you need to replace them. the exo-terra also looks natural
1 RES: Crush, 7" long 5 years old
1 hedgehog: Sonic, 7 months old
User avatar
francinemarie
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Sep 20, 2008
Location: US

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:09 pm   

thegrandpoohbah wrote:Here's a thought. Most of us already own the Zoo Med basking dock I'm assuming. If the time comes that your turtle gets big enough that the large Exo-Terra dock isn't supportive enough, you can silicone the Zoo Med underneath to provide additional buoyancy. I've decided to keep my Zoo Med around so I can do this if it ever becomes necessary.


i didn't think of that. i own the medium sized zoo med. but that is a good idea considering i am only worried about the buoyancy of the exo-terra. i'll be definitely consdering this idea, thanks so much :D!
1 RES: Crush, 7" long 5 years old
1 hedgehog: Sonic, 7 months old
User avatar
francinemarie
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Sep 20, 2008
Location: US

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:11 pm   

akaghettoraver wrote:My tank is a 4'Lx2-1/2'Wx2'H sorry my signature has the wrong sex on it I have a female not male. I never noticed that I wrote that! I'm gonna get another one built with 3/4" glass measuring 5'Lx3'Wx30"H. That should allow enough swim room and basking room, if I decide to add a male to try out breeding. If not then she has a good size to her self:)


thanks, sounds like a 20 gallon, i'm not sure. my female was given to me along with a male partner, but they had rivalry issues & eventually he died :(. females seem more agressive :\
1 RES: Crush, 7" long 5 years old
1 hedgehog: Sonic, 7 months old
User avatar
francinemarie
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Sep 20, 2008
Location: US

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 8:37 pm   

The tank will be 300 gal. I have never had a male. I started out with a female 10 yrs ago. And now I have another female. But its ok, she is very friendly and is hand fed
1 Female RES 6 in.
4'x2-1/2'x2' Tank
1 Mangrove Monitor 3.5 ft
10'x10'x6' Enclosure
User avatar
akaghettoraver
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Sep 28, 2006
Location: Honduras

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:25 pm   

akaghettoraver wrote:The tank will be 300 gal. I have never had a male. I started out with a female 10 yrs ago. And now I have another female. But its ok, she is very friendly and is hand fed


whoa 300 gallons :shock: ?! i was way off. is that what you have now or will be getting a 300 gallon? haha, no wonder you want a nesting & separate basking area...you'd have so much room for it :P
1 RES: Crush, 7" long 5 years old
1 hedgehog: Sonic, 7 months old
User avatar
francinemarie
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Sep 20, 2008
Location: US

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:29 pm   

the one she is in is her juvenile tank and setup. It is about 150 gals. I will be making the basking area the nest area as well in the new 300 gal tank
1 Female RES 6 in.
4'x2-1/2'x2' Tank
1 Mangrove Monitor 3.5 ft
10'x10'x6' Enclosure
User avatar
akaghettoraver
 
Posts: 179
Joined: Sep 28, 2006
Location: Honduras

Post Posted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:14 pm   

akaghettoraver wrote:the one she is in is her juvenile tank and setup. It is about 150 gals. I will be making the basking area the nest area as well in the new 300 gal tank


oh i see, i just saw the picture of your tank & it looks really nice & simple ;).
1 RES: Crush, 7" long 5 years old
1 hedgehog: Sonic, 7 months old
User avatar
francinemarie
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Sep 20, 2008
Location: US

Post Posted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:47 pm   

I just ordered it - 2 medium ones - i have 2 RES that needed to be separated.

Can't wait to set this up for them.

=)

m
Maltliquor45
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Apr 20, 2009
Location: NYC

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:02 am   

i just ordered a large one myself, hopefully filburt will like it
str1p
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Mar 22, 2009
Location: Woodstock, Georgia

Post Posted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:56 am   

Maltliquor45 & str1p - please take pics with your turtle on the dock as soon as you can. i'd love to see them! it would help also if you could mention the size of your turtle so that future buyers for this dock can estimate if their turtle will fit on it or not. thank you!!
1 RES: Crush, 7" long 5 years old
1 hedgehog: Sonic, 7 months old
User avatar
francinemarie
 
Posts: 493
Joined: Sep 20, 2008
Location: US

Post Posted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:27 am   

ill get some pictures posted as soon as i can
FOR THE HORDE!
str1p
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Mar 22, 2009
Location: Woodstock, Georgia

PreviousNext

Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 101 guests