Habitat - Indoor :: Taking water temps...

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:39 pm   Taking water temps...

How do you take the temperature of the water? Can you use one of those glass thermometers with mercury? Or should I use a digital with probe thermometer and put the probe in the water?
~Bently11~
1 RES turtle Bentley
RIP George the RES
1 Bearded Dragon Duke
1 African Clawed frog Whizz
1 Havanese dog Buddy
bently11
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Apr 19, 2008

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:01 pm   

Both are fine. The glass thermometers no longer contain mercury either.

The digital is a lot faster usually, but they are relatively the same accuracy wise. I use digital because I always leave the probe in my tanks, and set the thermometer behind the tank, so that I can glance over and check the temp in a second. Super easy to make sure everything is in check.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:08 pm   

I personally think digital is better and so much easier to read.

Real advantage in my opinion is that if you get one with low and high temperature alarms, there will be an audible warning as soon as anything goes wrong either too hot or too cold.
seanwb
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Sep 1, 2008
Location: London, England

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:31 pm   

seanwb wrote:I personally think digital is better and so much easier to read.

Real advantage in my opinion is that if you get one with low and high temperature alarms, there will be an audible warning as soon as anything goes wrong either too hot or too cold.


Agreed. I'd like one with that feature. Got a link?
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:31 pm   

Yeah I'd like that kind too.
~Bently11~
1 RES turtle Bentley
RIP George the RES
1 Bearded Dragon Duke
1 African Clawed frog Whizz
1 Havanese dog Buddy
bently11
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Apr 19, 2008

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:32 pm   

If you have a glass one, you don't want to keep it in all the time as turtles have been known to snap at them and break them. You can buy one of those cheap stick on ones for daily checking.
JAX
- - -
Baby Boy - January 9th, 2011! (3 months old)
1 RES - 7" long - Umi (3.5 years old)
1 black lab/hound mix - Josie (1.5 year old)
2 cats - Mysti and Molly (6.5 years old)
User avatar
TheComputerGremlin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3732
Joined: Jan 12, 2008
Location: Washington, DC

Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:43 pm   

I like to use two... the sticky LCD type and an infrared temp gun.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 142 guests