Habitat - Indoor :: How to work this airpump

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:03 pm   How to work this airpump

I bought a new tank (used) and it came with an air pump. I have some pieces here and I'm just confused as to how it works and what to do with it.

I'm not sure if the blue thing belons to it, but it came inside the tank and I couldn't find anything else it belonged to.

The end of the hose has this weird hard thing in the end so I cannot figure out how it connects to anything or works.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks bunches :)

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Simba
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Sep 20, 2008

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:27 pm   

Nevermind, I just broke the thing on the end :( I thought it might come off but it just crubled in my hand :(
Simba
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Sep 20, 2008

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:26 pm   

sweet. The little blue cylinders(2) are one way check valves so that only air can pass through and water cannot come back through which would ruin the air pump. When the pump is turned off, it could create a siphon affect, siphoning the water back into the pump. Thats why the valves need to be there.

The grey piece on the end you broke was just a cheap airstone, so no biggie. They can be had for a dollar or two at any petstore.

The blue one however, is a bubble curtain. Put the airline tubing onto the end with the nozzle like piece. Then put it in the water, bury it under your sand or river rock, or just let it sit on the bottom of your tank, plug in the pump and watch the bubble curtain come up.

Just put the pump in your tank stand, and if it is too noisy, you can put it on top of a cloth or rag to quiet it down.

Hope it helps.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:35 pm   

you can bury them in the sand and still get bubbles? how big of a pump would i need for a 4' bubble curtain? thanks,
cb
CB
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Jun 5, 2008

Post Posted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:11 am   

Thank you. I nearly cried when I broke that part because I Thought I ruined my deal of a purchase.

I figured out the other part and she seems to love the "bubble curtain" if biting at it is loving it but she seems happy ;) It is obnixiously loud so only occasionally, but still...

Thank you so much!
Simba
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Sep 20, 2008


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 128 guests