Habitat - Indoor :: Turtle's Tank

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:18 pm   Turtle's Tank

Part one of our turtle tank remodel.... we built her an out of tank basking area so that we can fill her 55 up fully. a 55 is still too small for her, but i just bought a 75 gallon we're planning on setting up in January (we're moving to a new house, figured we may as well wait :))

Image
her home, before... look how big she is, and how small it all looks :( I knew we needed a new tank at that time, but this is also when i realized that her basking area was no good, so I decided to spend the money to build an out of tank area instead.

sooo, here's the start of that process!

Image
Bent it ourselves... that's my fiance Don, btw... don't mind him. =P

Image
taped some of the pieces together

Image
All taped together! and so we glue, and thennn...

Image
we glue on all of the bottom substrate... which, btw, she has already destroyed -_- she's flipping strong, and her claws easily dug into the glue... put two and two together, and the whole thing is shredded. Gotta redo that soon, already. bleh. oh well, it looked nice at first, huh?

Image
And step 1 is complete! Next will be in January at the new house, when we get her into her nice big tank :) I can't wait, she'll be so happy there.


BTW, anyone know of any 'plans' for building my own stand for a 75 gal (average dimensions)? The one I bought didn't come iwth a stand so during this month I'm going to work on getting that done for January. hah. thanks, guys, hope you enjoy pictures.....



EDIT: here's a couple random cell phone shots of turtle :) figured I should put some plain shots of her as well.

Image
finally eating her lettuce... she was refusing for sooo long... thank god!

Image
Sand covering her after I cleaned her tank hahaha.
~Bree~

1 RES female: "Turtle" ;)
1 Dog Black Lab female: "Izzy"
1 Cat Abyssinian Mix: "Cedar"

RIP: Sootie (rat), Ratty (rat), Houdini (lovebird), Taffy (Dog-mutt), Kobi (cat-dsh), Iggy (iguana)
Miss you, babies.. <3
Brearune
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Nov 21, 2008
Location: North Kingstown, RI (USA)

Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:34 pm   

Nice upgrade.
There are some really good plans for 75g stands online. I used one set and modified it for a 55g and it works great. Here's the link:
http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/75g_stand/index.shtml
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
User avatar
megcornell
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Apr 30, 2006
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:37 pm   

oh wow, that's perfect! and it's gorgeous! I was kinda nervous about some of the ones i had found before, but that seems pretty good :) Thanks!
~Bree~

1 RES female: "Turtle" ;)
1 Dog Black Lab female: "Izzy"
1 Cat Abyssinian Mix: "Cedar"

RIP: Sootie (rat), Ratty (rat), Houdini (lovebird), Taffy (Dog-mutt), Kobi (cat-dsh), Iggy (iguana)
Miss you, babies.. <3
Brearune
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Nov 21, 2008
Location: North Kingstown, RI (USA)

Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:00 pm   

Looks great! :D Perhaps if you put the stones much closer together she won't be able to tear it apart? Donno!
How big is she?

Also, the link Meg posted is the one I did for my 75 and 90 gallon stands as well :)
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:40 pm   

Wow that looks pretty nice the stand and the out of tank basking area. I will have to copy these ideas when my guys get big enough, hell I am already planning to get a 100+ gallon tank or stock tank for these 3 hatchlings.. i'm crazy!
RES Mei (4")
Eastern Painted - Red (3.7")
User avatar
Mauk
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Dec 1, 2008
Location: Markham, ON

Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:18 pm   

i jus payed 230- for a 75 gal stand that isn't as nice as that. That's a nice stand you made.
I have two female red ear sliders.
Chimpy - 5.5 inches
Chompy- 6.0 inches
Both were born about 7/2007
Got them -- 9/2007
User avatar
bradmeisel
 
Posts: 729
Joined: Nov 2, 2008
Location: Flushing, New York

Post Posted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:03 pm   

As for how big she is; her shell's around 7-8 inches... She never stays still enough to figure it out exactly ;)
and thanks guys!
and yeah, I definitely plan on making that stand, especially since I now have people vouching that it can support the weight of the tank. I was worried about building my own solely because of that haha.
so thanks sooo much for that link and the feedback on that :)
~Bree~

1 RES female: "Turtle" ;)
1 Dog Black Lab female: "Izzy"
1 Cat Abyssinian Mix: "Cedar"

RIP: Sootie (rat), Ratty (rat), Houdini (lovebird), Taffy (Dog-mutt), Kobi (cat-dsh), Iggy (iguana)
Miss you, babies.. <3
Brearune
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Nov 21, 2008
Location: North Kingstown, RI (USA)

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:46 pm   

Building a stand is pretty easy and cheap. I just upgraded to a 55 gallon. I built my own stand basically the same way that the website showed. It was about $30 in wood and takes only a few hours. Looks just as good as the ones you buy at the pet store for $150+.
awatson88
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Aug 26, 2008


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 73 guests