Habitat - Indoor :: What UVB do you use?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:31 pm   What UVB do you use?

I'm going out to get my first UVB light today or tomorrow pending an educated recommendation from one of you fine people :) I've read some conflicting information on which bulb strength is best so I figured I would ask for some input and follow through from there!!

Thanks so much everyone!
<3 my hank - RES
1 mosaic chinchilla - J.Peterman
1 standard chinchilla - cupcake
1 black lab - markie
User avatar
koreyleigh
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Nov 24, 2008
Location: West Islip, NY

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:37 pm   

I use Exo-Terra Repti Glo 5.0 26W.
User avatar
swlin
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Oct 26, 2007

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:39 pm   

swlin wrote:I use Exo-Terra Repti Glo 5.0 26W.


Ditto. I use it for two reasons: 1) It's generally a bit cheaper than comparable bulbs. 2) It's the only bulb available where I live :P
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:21 pm   

Same here! :)
0.0.1 2.25" RES Koopa
2.0.0 Dogs (German Shepherd and Chocolate Lab)
2.0.0 White Cats (Luno and Soody(Fatty))
ilikeadabox
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Oct 14, 2008

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:18 pm   

I use 100W mega-ray MVBs. The turtles love them!
Adrienne!
2.0 RES: Turtley and Samson
1.0 Lutino Cockatiel: Lilly
assorted fish, hermit crabs, bugs etc.
User avatar
octpusgirl8
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1836
Joined: Feb 21, 2007
Location: Baltimore MD

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:53 pm   

i too use the mega-ray MVB. if you decide to go that route though you have to have a tank that is at least 50 gallons.
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: Aug 18, 2007
Location: Oklahoma

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:08 pm   

thank you everyone for your replies!!
<3 my hank - RES
1 mosaic chinchilla - J.Peterman
1 standard chinchilla - cupcake
1 black lab - markie
User avatar
koreyleigh
 
Posts: 271
Joined: Nov 24, 2008
Location: West Islip, NY

Post Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:01 pm   

swlin wrote:I use Exo-Terra Repti Glo 5.0 26W.

Same.
http://chrisredearslider.blogspot.com/
1.0 Red Ear Slider-Squirt
37g-Dwarf Gourami/Peaceful Comm. tank
1.0 Axolotl-Axle
0.1 Dog-Leia
User avatar
Chrisbarnett
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Dec 26, 2007
Location: Cali

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:56 pm   

I use ReptiGlo 5.0 26W, but I have just ordered a SolarGlo Mercury Vapour Bulb off ebay for £26.00!!! cant wait til it gets here should have it in 2 days :)
Chirag

1 x Med. Spur-thighed Tortoise (Snoopy) - 2"
1 x Hieroglyphic River Cooter (Terrance) - 6"
1 x Mississippi Map Turtle (Milton) - 4"
1 x Fire Eel - 12"
1 x Unknown Bichir - 13" (Born with 1 eye)
ch12ag
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Oct 11, 2008
Location: Kent, UK

Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:42 pm   

The Repti glo 5.0 26 watt bulb is a good one.

I use a T Rex 100 watt mercury vapor flood bulb and love it and my turtle loves it too. It's only recommended, however, for 50 gallon and larger tanks. Other wise, it (along with the other MVBs) it too strong and hot. The advantage of the MVB is that, along with providing good UVB, it also provides heat so you don't need a second bulb for heat.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:27 am   

Exo-Terra Repti Glo 5.0 26W

x5

Did anyone have any duds? My first one lasted about two days, returned it and haven't had any issues with the new one.
I build acrylic ATBAs.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:19 am   

I've also had some random issues with Exo Terra bulbs.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:48 am   

Ya once in a blue moon when you first turn it on its a little dim and then goes bright? Mines maybe 3 months old.
Rubicon
 
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 7, 2008
Location: Fort Bragg, NC.
Gender: Male


Return to Habitat - Indoor

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 101 guests