Equipment Review and Discussion :: BEST FILTER

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:20 pm   BEST FILTER

What is it?? I have a 55g tank with 3 small RES should i put two medium sized filters in (each are for 50g tank) or one larger filter (for 75g tank)?

In either case, can someone recommend a brand.

any help is appreciated
matt
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Jul 9, 2005

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:41 pm   

My Opinion-
If you can afford it, I hear Eheims are very good. But for about $100, you can get an xP3 which is probably the next best thing.
jdub1107
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Jul 14, 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:32 pm   

ive heard the xp3 will sweep my lil turtles off their feet in a 55g tank. you think the xp2 would work well instead?
matt
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Jul 9, 2005

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:12 pm   

I have an 80 gallon and I use the xP3. It has a jet stream setting or a spray bar setting for the outlet, both of which are adjustable (pressure and direction of flow). If sweeping your turtles is the only concern, I'd go with the xP3. Then you won't need to upgrade again if you decide to get a larger tank. Unless of course you go really big, in which case you may need a pond filter.
jdub1107
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Jul 14, 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:11 pm   

If you use the spray bar with the XP3, it will create much less current; you can also position the bar toward the glass so that the current is lessened.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:53 am   

i say fluval 404, no spray bar included but can be purchased seperately. not too strong to sweep ur turts.. ( i use in a 25gallon w/ 1 turt) but u can also adjust the outflow rate urself w/ a lever. competitively cheaper as well- and the outflow is the same. more filter media available and 4 compartments instead of the xp3's three. longer warranty as well.

im using mine for a couple of months and i can say its great, although eheim is a lot better. if money is a factor - id recomment fluval 04 series.
User avatar
TrooperRES
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Jun 17, 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:50 am   

There is only 3 compartments, but each one is quite big. I have 7 or 8 different medias in my xp3.
jdub1107
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Jul 14, 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:07 pm   

How big is the XP3? I need the measurements so I can determine if I want to get it or not. If it's too big, I might get the fluval (because i hear it's external). If anyone could give me the measurments, that'd be awesome.
1.0.0 RES - Leonardo - 4.75"
User avatar
Brianthedog18
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Jul 10, 2005

Post Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:41 pm   

o they're both external canister filters. as for size i think they're about the same, but I think the fluval is a bit taller, and less wide.
User avatar
TrooperRES
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Jun 17, 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:07 am   

xp3 has a square footprint, the fluval a rectangular. check their websites for specs, remember both these filters need to be placed below the tank
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:35 pm   

Also, if you could get to a store that sells them (like Petsmart in Manchester) you could look at the specs on the box.

They will work even if they're not below the tank, but they're quite a bit noiser and are difficult to prime.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:50 am   

I use the fluval 304 for 3 hungry turts and I change about once a month.
User avatar
crow610
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Nov 24, 2005
Location: San Diego


Return to Equipment Review and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 89 guests