Equipment Review and Discussion :: PetSmart Return Policy

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:29 pm   PetSmart Return Policy

I bought the ZooMed 501 Canister Filter about a week ago and have became very dissatisfied with its performance. This filter is marketed for aquatic turtle owners; however, it is not an acceptable filter for turtles! Will PetSmart accept a return, even though I have used the filter? Does PetSmart have a flexible return policy? I still have the box and receipt. Thanks!
A&N_Potter
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sep 18, 2007

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:11 pm   

Best to ask PetSmart. In what way is the filter unsatisfactory?
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:20 pm   

I say look up the return policy and see what it is... at the least you should get store credit I'd think.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
User avatar
megcornell
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Apr 30, 2006
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:40 pm   

Well, I switched from a $15 Fluval Submersible (mechanical), to the $50 ZooMed 501 Canister (Mech., Bio, etc.) and the Fluval was better (cleaner tank, better smell)! Also, I have now upgraded to a 75 gallon tank; therefore, I am looking into an Xp3. I now have two useless filters, (the 501, $50, and a Tetra Fauna water fall filter, $50). Would like to turn wasted money into something useful...
A&N_Potter
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sep 18, 2007

Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:29 pm   

For a 75 gallon tank, an XP3 would be perfect. On the zoo med filter, is it possible your tank is simply cycling? You know about the nitrogen cycle?
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:25 am   

Some stores won't take back a used filter. It can't hurt to take it back and explain to the manager that you are a frequent customer and the packaging information misled you.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:07 pm   

Clean it well and put it back in the original box. The Petsmart nearest me will take back almost anything as long as you have the original receipt.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:52 pm   

there is a good chance they will take it back as long as it looks presentable,, but if they dont contact the company that made it, zoomed and see if they will take it back. Might take a lot longer to get money back doing that way but its better than another doorstop.
ZombieTurtle
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Sep 25, 2007

Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:49 pm   

if you don't like they will take it back we had the same problem with a filter and they took it back
I have 5 RES, 2 ASN, and 1 DBT
iac637
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: Charleston SC

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:09 am   Petsmart return

I currently work for Petsmart and they will take it back even if it is used. Some of the things I see returned in such bad shape they should have no problem taking it back. If you have the reciept and the box you will be fine. I work in the speciality dept. so I deal with frequent turtle customers. We now have 6 turtles thanks to me work there and rescuing them from customers that just don't realize what they have gotten into. But as long as the get a better home I am happy about it.
We now have 4 in the outside 1400 gallon pond and 2 babies in the 55gal tank in the house. Good thing we kept all of our tanks from haveing to upgrade with our 9 yr. old RES Lou :D.
I know that the pet stores of the world tend to get a bad rap esp. for not knowing about turtles. Luckily the turtle owners in my area are well educated and since I have been working there I have been told we have MORE turlte customers than they have ever had. So I am trying to help out the RES of the world.
Anytime you see a turtle up on top of a fence post, you know he had some help.
- Alex Haley
The Pet Zoo: 2 RES(Lou + Baby Lou:no relation) 4 Dogs 3 Cats 1 Koi 11.5 (Shirley) 6 goldfish friends **2 new additions! greenie RES and greenie YBS!
User avatar
MamaLou
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Jun 28, 2005
Location: Maiden NC

Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:28 pm   

Thanks for the info MamaLou! I knew there was a reason I didn't like the local aquarium store ;)
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:50 pm   

Thanks for all the info! We returned the filter = store credit (lost receipt)!!! Purchased a larger turtle dock and decorations for my new 75 gallon tank!!!
A&N_Potter
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sep 18, 2007

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:14 pm   

Anytime Steve. Always happy to help people with info.
Anytime you see a turtle up on top of a fence post, you know he had some help.
- Alex Haley
The Pet Zoo: 2 RES(Lou + Baby Lou:no relation) 4 Dogs 3 Cats 1 Koi 11.5 (Shirley) 6 goldfish friends **2 new additions! greenie RES and greenie YBS!
User avatar
MamaLou
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Jun 28, 2005
Location: Maiden NC

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:55 am   

On their website they specified that customer can always return product that they are not satisfied..
User avatar
RESCHIU
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Jan 26, 2006
Location: Las Vegas

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:05 am   

Store policies can vary online and may not apply to a physical store. Most notably is the price matching, which a few managers seem to refuse.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to Equipment Review and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 91 guests