Equipment Review and Discussion :: Reptiglo 5.0

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:19 pm   Reptiglo 5.0

I went an bought a reptiglo 5.0...the first UVB bulb that I bought that I am certain produces UVB. I can hear something rattle when I shake it but there is no obvious damage to it. It will not, however, light up in my clamp lamp and I don't know why. Do they take time to turn on? I just got this thing and it's the first time I have seen 5.0 in the store so I am hoping I did something wrong. Please help.
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:49 pm   

You sometimes have to get fluorescents at just the right angle for them to start glowing. And they will take a few seconds to light up as opposed to an incandescent that lights up right away.

But if you've tried moving it around and it's still not lighting, then I think it means something's broken inside. The pet store should take it back.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:51 pm   

Ill keep adjusting it..its the compact one. I never used one but I was excited to finally get the right bulb but everyone thinks I am an idiot for buying a twelve dollar light bulb :(
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:56 pm   

adam85491 wrote: but everyone thinks I am an idiot for buying a twelve dollar light bulb :(


Dont let them discourage you from taking proper care of your animals. They obviously have no idea of how your turtle will benefit from it..
1.1.0Trachemys scripta elegans
0.0.1Sternotherus odoratus
1.1.0Platemys platycephala
0.1.0Pelomedusa subrufa subrufa
0.0.1.Graptemys pseudogeographica
User avatar
xsavingsaturdayx
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Sep 22, 2006
Location: Miami Beach, FL

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:59 pm   

I know. I went from having a small plastic container to my 20 gallon long tank and I don't mind it...I often get made fun of for having a turtle as a pet as school and my librarian said it was cool to keep them in those palm tree lagoons...it's a turtle care-ignorant town I guess.

I think this bulb is broken...I was excited to get it too.
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:04 pm   

Well I respect you for doing so much for your turtles. Most people would have probably ignored all this usefull info the second they found out how much owning a proper turtle setup costs. But you on the other hand, didnt...thats pretty cool man, :)
1.1.0Trachemys scripta elegans
0.0.1Sternotherus odoratus
1.1.0Platemys platycephala
0.1.0Pelomedusa subrufa subrufa
0.0.1.Graptemys pseudogeographica
User avatar
xsavingsaturdayx
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Sep 22, 2006
Location: Miami Beach, FL

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:05 pm   

Thanks...I pretty much commend everyone on here who took the right steps for their turtles because I think the common knowledge of these creatures are misleading.
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:05 pm   

Oh, well go back to the pet store and ask them to replace it. They should..it was obviously broken from the start.
1.1.0Trachemys scripta elegans
0.0.1Sternotherus odoratus
1.1.0Platemys platycephala
0.1.0Pelomedusa subrufa subrufa
0.0.1.Graptemys pseudogeographica
User avatar
xsavingsaturdayx
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Sep 22, 2006
Location: Miami Beach, FL

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:12 pm   

I will but I am so bummed. I hear something rattle lightly when I shake it is that supposed to happen? The only thing that seems odd is there is a slight nitch in the silver part where the bulb is screwed in but I think that is normal. They had a bunch of 5.0s this time so I hope they will have one when I get back to the store.
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:16 pm   

I dont think its supposed to rattle. Its probably broken. It would be best if you could return it for another one. Good luck!
1.1.0Trachemys scripta elegans
0.0.1Sternotherus odoratus
1.1.0Platemys platycephala
0.1.0Pelomedusa subrufa subrufa
0.0.1.Graptemys pseudogeographica
User avatar
xsavingsaturdayx
 
Posts: 2149
Joined: Sep 22, 2006
Location: Miami Beach, FL

Post Posted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:18 pm   

Thanks.
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:49 pm   

It sounds like something is broken inside, my UVB bulb doesn't make any noises.
Props for taking such good care of your turtle :-) he's lucky to have a good, responsible owner.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
User avatar
megcornell
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 3206
Joined: Apr 30, 2006
Location: New York, NY

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:59 pm   

I once used an ESU spiral bulb that worked but would make a little rattling sound when it was turned upside down. Since yours isn't lighting, though, something is obviously wrong with it and you should take it back. If there are a bunch of 5.0s in the store, take one that looks like it's been handled the least (hasn't been opened). When I used to buy red heat bulbs, I was amazed at how some of them had been opened (seal was broken). I also once watched the staff at a petstore put out new stock---bulbs had just been thrown into a basket, some at the bottom, with other products. Very easy for them to become damaged...
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:08 pm   

I will get it replaced and ask if they will turn it on in the store. I know sometimes bulbs have a sticker over their bottom and the box looked great so I am extremely suprised it is not working.
User avatar
adam85491
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Dec 28, 2006

Post Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:10 pm   

Did you try it in another light?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Next

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests