Equipment Review and Discussion :: 60 Gal Filter in a 10 Gal aquarium??

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:48 pm   60 Gal Filter in a 10 Gal aquarium??

I am trying to utilize some materials from my Dad's old aquariums to save myself some money. (Scored a free tank, two thermometers, cleaning brushes etc).

It has been years since the aquariums were up and running but I just discovered that his Tetra-Whisper PF 60 filter still works! I want to use it on my 10Gal tank but it's really oversized.

Does anyone know if there are any negative aspects to using a large filter on a small tank? I can adjust the water intake so that much less water goes through and it only actually spills over one waterfall thingy. Should I save it for when I upgrade to a bigger tank and go buy a small filter or do you think it's okay to use as long as its on a low setting? (Tortuga would be completely knocked around in a terrifying turbulent tsunami if I had it on full blast!! :shock: )

Thanks!
1 baby RES, Tortuga
User avatar
sawajo
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Apr 17, 2007
Location: Newton, MA/Silver Spring, MD

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:26 pm   

I'm not familiar with the filter you have, but if you can make it so that the current isn't really strong and your turtle won't get knocked around, I don't see why you couldn't use it. Clean it well and start looking for a bigger tank.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:48 pm   

yeah just make sure the turtle is caught in the current.
I have 5 RES, 2 ASN, and 1 DBT
iac637
 
Posts: 486
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: Charleston SC

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:30 pm   

Thanks guys! I think I am going to use it then! :D
1 baby RES, Tortuga
User avatar
sawajo
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Apr 17, 2007
Location: Newton, MA/Silver Spring, MD


Return to Equipment Review and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 73 guests