Page 1 of 1

Is a heater a must?????

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:22 pm
by turboturtle8
Is a heater a must even if you have a thermometer?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:27 pm
by SpotsMama
If you live in a tropical climate where the temperature doesn't vary much or doesn't drop below 70 degrees, then you can do without a heater. The thermometer is always a good idea so you can keep an eye on things to make sure it doesn't get too cool - or too hot.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:28 pm
by myrtle1123
I dont have a heater in my tank I just make sure the tanks isn't to cold/hot if it is I add / take away some water to make it the right temmp.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:30 pm
by turboturtle8
Yeah thats pretty much what I do myrtle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:32 pm
by SpotsMama
myrtle1123, wouldn't your life be a lot easier with a heater? They aren't very expensive. You won't always be there to monitor the water temperature - like at night when you're asleep and when you're out and about. A heater keeps the water temperature nice and even, which is most beneficial for the turtle's health. I would think that this would be especially helpful in Canada. I hear it gets cold up there!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:35 pm
by turboturtle8
You have a point there Spots

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:57 pm
by Starchick
Yeah, for under 30 bucks you can get a reliable heater, less work for you and more security for your turtle.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:16 pm
by xsavingsaturdayx
I cant imagine living without a water heater, to me..in my opinion, a water heater is the best health insurance you can give your turtle. I mean, think about it...what causes most Respiratory infections? Cold water..right? With a water heater you wont have that problem, because it will keep the water at a nice stable temperature (Day & Night).


All hail the marine land visi-therm stealth heater :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:52 pm
by DavidY
Fluctuating temperatures can cause unhealthy stress for the turtles, especially small ones. In the wild, turtles live in ponds with a vast amount of water. The water temperature changes very slowly (a degree or two over a couple of weeks) and usually not by a whole lot. In a 100 gallon aquarium without a heater, the temperature can fluctuate by 10 degrees in a few hours.