Equipment Review and Discussion :: New Python

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:49 pm   New Python

I just got a new python and I thought those that have had them or are looking to buy a new one would be interested in knowing that they now come with the brass connector instead of the white plastic one :)
Carol
User avatar
cam722
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: Jun 2, 2005
Location: Northeast PA

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:45 am   

That's a good thing. The white plastic ones were a piece of crap. I'm so glad I bought the brass one for it.
User avatar
Spookster
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Sep 24, 2005
Location: Marion, IA USA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:21 pm   

I bought a Python 3 years ago (have yet to use it) and it came with the brass adaptor.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:46 pm   

I'll have to look into it as well. I'm in the market for one and the python's website and packaging doesn't look like it has been updated in years....
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:19 pm   

When I bought my new python in June, it didn't come with the faucet adapter at all. Luckily, I already had the brass one.

Marisa, how do you clean out your tank if you aren't using the python? Just curious.
My babies: Tanner (RES), MR. Prissy & Ringo (budgies), Shinju (cockatiel)

"Little dudes are just eggs, we leave 'em on the beach to hatch, and then — koo-koo ka-choo! — they find their way back to the Big Ol' Blue"
User avatar
CountryGirl68
Senior Member
 
Posts: 890
Joined: Jul 17, 2006
Location: NYC

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:32 pm   

I have a wet/dry vac that I use when I completely clean the biggest stock tank. I don't do this often, though, and maintain water quality by testing and doing regular partial water changes. For smaller tanks, I basically use the bucket method (truly a labor of love). When I'm in a situation where I can use the python I'll try it. It's a 75-footer, though, and I may have to cut it down to make two of them.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:01 pm   

marisa wrote:...I basically use the bucket method (truly a labor of love).


My back hurts just thinking about all that work you have to do...
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:18 pm   

steve wrote:
marisa wrote:...I basically use the bucket method (truly a labor of love).


My back hurts just thinking about all that work you have to do...


No kidding! I have a 75 gallon and lug the buckets. Less than a month and counting till the birthday, lol.
Missi

2 RES, 1 cat, and a spoiled rotten pug.
missibsu
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3040
Joined: Aug 29, 2005
Location: Ohio

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:17 pm   

I've had my python for several years now - I couldn't live without it! A few months ago I finally had to buy the brass adaptor.
ytse411
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Oct 22, 2006
Location: Upstate NY
Gender: Female

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:46 am   

Can you control how hard it "sucks" by how fast you turn the water on? Also do you take your turts out for the adventure? Or leave them in?
"Go all out or dont go out at all" - Muirner


R.I.P Mary Kate 12-12-06
R.I.P. Ashley 12-17-06
Muirner
 
Posts: 746
Joined: Nov 8, 2006

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:23 pm   

Supposedly you can turn the faucet on to make it work faster. It did not work for me... I have to let it drain outside to get a decent suction.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:13 am   

I had problems with mine in the beginning doing the same thing steve but now it works wonderfully. I think it was the user and not the product in my case :)
Carol
User avatar
cam722
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: Jun 2, 2005
Location: Northeast PA

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:32 am   

More details please! :D Mine just trickles out and is at roughly the same height as the sink.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:34 am   

well.... do you have the drain pulled down all the way? Do you have the cold water on .. :) yes having the water on when trying to drain the tank helps.. you have to remember to turn the valve so that it's draining and not filling the tank :) I tried doing it without the water on and it just didn't work. I usually have problems getting the siphoning to start but once I get it going.. it cleans out the tank in no time. I usually have to put water back in before I'm finished cleaning. Now mind you, this is on my 20 gallon fish tanks, so they empty rather quickly :)
Carol
User avatar
cam722
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 2109
Joined: Jun 2, 2005
Location: Northeast PA

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:42 am   

Yup, that didn't work for me. I have the 50 footer, do you think the length could reduce the effectiveness?
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Next

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 55 guests