Page 1 of 2

emperor 400 filter

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:37 pm
by bob_rod7
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/P ... 2004+22769

i was wondering if this would be a good filter and also i was wondering if any of you could tell me how my gallons my tank is. It is 48in. in length, 13in. in width, and 20in. in height

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:44 pm
by missibsu
If my calculations are correct, I believe you have a 55 gallon tank.

As for the filter, I would recommend a canister filter. Something along the lines of an xp3. That's what I use and I love it. Ideally your filter should be rated for 3 times the capacity of you tank, and the high end of that filter is 80 gallons. While I don't have any experience with that filter, I don't think you will be happy with it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:45 pm
by marisa
For the gallon size, multiply the length X width X depth in inches and divide by 231

I haven't read of many people who use the Emperor. I have read, though, that between the Emperor and the AquaClear, the latter was preferred (for power HOT filters).

If you determine the size of your tank and it's around 50 gallons, a canister would also be good.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:05 pm
by bob_rod7
ok thanks what about the xp2? and also how often do you have to change the filter and does it get expensive?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:06 pm
by N4784N R4613
DON'T USE THIS FOR A TURTLE TANK!! When I switched from fish to turts I tried to use my Emperor 400 (Don't get me wrong it works great for what its made for(a fish tank)). The only way it will work is if you use the extension and fill your tank all the way up (it dose not have the power to suck the water all the way up the extension when the tank is only half full trust me I tried). If you don't use the extension it is still a strain on the pump and it dose not suck anything off the bottom of the tank.

I can see this filter working with (1)the extension in (2)a smaller tank with an (3)above tank basking area(so you can fill the tank all the way up).

EDIT: Beat me by a minet...

You have a 55 gal. tank the ratings for the filters are set for a fish aquarium turtles are more messy so most people like to triple the rating for turtles. So the xp3 would be your best bet.

I don't know how often you change the media.

And I hate to tell you this but turtles are a rather expensive pet to keep.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:24 pm
by bob_rod7
yea i know ive had my turtle for 12 years right now he is in a 40 gallon with a Tetra ReptoFilter he has proper lighting and everything. but im trying to find him a bigger tank than what he is in now

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:57 pm
by Kallistos
I reccomend the XP3 because you won't have to clean it as often, and if you upgrade you won't have to get a new filter.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:28 pm
by bob_rod7
ok thanks for all the help

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:27 pm
by missibsu
I've had my xp3 for about 6 or 7 months I think...losing track of time. Anyway, I have never changed the media. I moved my ceramic rings from my old filter and use the pads that came with the new one. When it comes time to clean the tank and filter, I rinse the rings in the tank water and hose the pads. Once they are clean, they still look brand new.

Also, I would choose the xp3 over the xp2, so that when it comes time to upgrade again, you won't have to upgrade the filter.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:27 pm
by marisa
The vast majority of filters (including the XP3) are made for fish tanks. The XP3, however, a very good filter for the price, and can be used on a larger tank when you upgrade.

BTW, I have used AquaClears (similar to the Emperor) with turtles, and modifications can be made so that the tank doesn't have to be filled up all the way.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:54 pm
by turtlesrock77
I have an Emporer 400, and there are some pros and cons to it. I have it in a 29 gallon tank, and the extension is too long, so i have to use it without it. I also have to fill my tank up more than 3/4 of the way, and even 3/4 of the way filled I have to fill it all the way, turn it on, and then take water out to the level I want it or it won't be able to suck up the water. On the other hand, it keeps the take super clear. If I could do it again, I would spend the extra money on the XP3.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:53 pm
by bob_rod7
well i am going to go with the xp3 thanks guys

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:29 pm
by Kallistos
Great choice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:50 pm
by marisa
turtlesrock77, can you cut that extension at all? I had the same problem with an Aquaclear 70, and I cut the extension in half so that it would extend to the bottom of the tank.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:57 pm
by turtlesrock77
Thats a very good idea.... I think I might try that....