Page 1 of 1

rubbermaid containers

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:44 pm
by painted patience
I have read many times that rubbermaid containers are a good alternative for turtles that need a bigger home, say 50 or more gallons. I don't know where to get ones this size. I tried Walmart and Home depot and they only carried smaller, opaque/colored containers. Any suggestions ?
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:00 am
by missibsu
The more durable rubbermaid stock tanks are available at tractor supply company and other farm type stores. Your basic rubbermaid tub though, I don't know. Our walmart carries them up to 75 gallons.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:39 am
by steve
I bought a 50 gallon clear Sterilite @ Target... I think it was around $12-15.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:50 pm
by marisa
The clearer containers seem to be more piable (and therefore more durable) to me. I've had bad luck with dark (read navy)-colored ones, somewhat better luck with pale gray ones. All have to be supported, though, to prevent bowing out, and a number of mine developed leaks on the bottom eventually.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:12 pm
by painted patience
thank you for your replies ! I will try Target. How do I support them ? I was going to stick it on the floor .
Thanks,

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:23 pm
by steve
You can place them on the floor, but certain filters need support... if the filter hangs from the side, then you will need to add support to the bottom so the weight of the filter does not tug on tub. It will also keep the filter level.

You will also need a support to prevent the tub from bowing out. Someone had a tub in a closet and used books to keep the tub from bowing - and there was a discussion on another forum:
http://invisionfree.com/forums/Happy_Tu ... wtopic=329