Page 1 of 2
What is the best heater to use...

Posted:
Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:10 pm
by Dennis379
What is the best brand of heater to use for my turtle tank? I dislike alot of heaters, and I want a safe one so nothing happens when my turtle explores it.

Posted:
Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:16 pm
by adam85491
The Visi-Therm Stealth heaters are the best in my opinion. They are underwater and can be suction-cupped to the wall. It's also plastic and has a dial to get the exact temperature you want.
I believe my heater is rated for 15 or 25 gallons and I have a 40 gallon tank, so these things are good. I was going to get a new one, but if it is keeping it warm, I don't see a reason why.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=12060

Posted:
Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:04 am
by jozzep
IMO the best ones are "in-line" heaters.They get connected to the exaust tube of the canister filter so you don't see it in the tank and the turtles can't mess with it.
Would i buy it? Not a chance......Too expensive.But that wasn't your question now was it.


Posted:
Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:32 pm
by marisa
I personally like Ebo Jagers.

Posted:
Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:38 pm
by Diamondbacks4Life
Any that has dial to set it to an exact temp is good. Ones that go low to high or - and + leave you guessing what temp you set the water at.
I use Visi-Therm Deluxe Heaters

Posted:
Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:22 pm
by gwennie
I've never seen those Visi-Therm Stealth ones before...not sure if they have them here in New Zealand. They look fantastic though - don't have to buy a heater guard for them ^^
But you should always choose the correct wattage heater for your size tank, otherwise you run the risk of your heater frying out.

Posted:
Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:27 pm
by theartbook35
I've heard of one called "Ekip Thermopump" or something along those lines. It cycles water like a filter and heats it. There's a version that actually does both, but I don't think it's powerful enough to keep up with turtle waste.

Posted:
Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:27 am
by xstefanx
I was looking into getting a heater myself, the rena smartheater says that it can work in an xp canister, does anyone have experience with how this works? I can't seem to find information on if it actually goes in the canister or as an inline or what. I know it can be a stand alone as well though.

Posted:
Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:47 am
by CB
the rena goes on the intake tube. it takes the place of the strainer and heats the water as it goes into the filter. i want one. using an ebo 300 now, going to drop down to something sturdier and a little less wattage. water level may be an issue with the rena though???
cb

Posted:
Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:58 pm
by scottpkura
I had a HydroEth inline heater, I was really happy with it. You don't have the fears of bursting. The best part is the Turt doesnt try to move,bump, bite, rest on the in tank heater. It's worth it, and aren't really THAT much more, if at all. you place them on the "Out" of your canister filter line. The inline heaters fit most canister filters.

Posted:
Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:44 am
by chinkieboy
ViaAqua Stainless Steel Freshwater Heater
Anybody tried this before??

Posted:
Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:40 pm
by marisa
I once had a ViaAqua titanium heater and it was the biggest piece of junk I ever bought, in terms of heaters. I've never used a stainless one.

Posted:
Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:09 pm
by warnereg
I would suggest any submersible, they allow for another inch or so of water. I use a regular tetra + - heater that works well (thermometers always help, just make sure they are on the opposite end of the tank from the heater.) I never have to adjust mine. Im going to need to get a new one myself so that I can get my water level up to the max level of the turtle topper. That is the only complaint I have for +- heaters. Tetra also makes submersibles that never need adjustment.

Posted:
Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:14 am
by zum14
Well i have this on my aquariums, i like the aquaclear heaters, very reliable. I made this one as a tester and so far it works like a charm, very stable, just rememeber to turn them off when serviceing the filter. I use an FX5 on this system.
http://s838.photobucket.com/albums/zz303/zum14/?action=view¤t=heatermoduletogether.jpg
http://s838.photobucket.com/albums/zz303/zum14/?action=view¤t=heatermoduleinstalled.jpg
http://s838.photobucket.com/albums/zz303/zum14/?action=view¤t=heatermoduleinstalled2.jpg
i realize yes its a margarine container there but its some plastic i had thats more of a safety, the heaters are siliconed in but better safe then sorry.

Posted:
Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:53 pm
by Maltliquor45
late response but i like my tetrafaunas... turtle heater with cage....