Page 1 of 1

So many UV Bulbs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:49 pm
by bnnerb
Ok, I am confused. There are so many UVB bulbs.

I know there are alot of posts on this from the type down to UVB.

I am buying the Exo-Terra Glow light and was looking at

http://www.petco.com/product/12129/Zoo-Med-Powersun-UV-Self-Ballasted-Mercury-Vapor-UVB-Lamp.aspx

Is this really nessacery or would a $12 Zoo Med 5.0 do just fine?

And, what is the deal with the daylight blue and the midnight red bulbs?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:54 pm
by Daniel3507
that bulb is a MVB bulb. it produces both heat and UVB so you only need one light instead of too. they shouldnt really be used on tanks smaller than 50 gallons though and if your going to go with a MVB bulb go with a mega ray or t rex.

a compact florescent UVB bulb will be just fine though. and the daylight and red bulbs and stuff you dont really need. a normal household bulb though will work fine for heat.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:07 pm
by bnnerb
oh ok, thanks. I have a 65 gallon tank.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:09 am
by Daniel3507
if you want you could just use a single MVB bulb and you wouldnt have to worry about uvb or heat bulbs. i have a mega ray and it was only like 40 bucks i think and works great