Page 1 of 1

How do you know when you need a new UVB bulb?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:06 am
by Rickiew04
I've been using the same UVB bulb (Reptisun compact flourescent 5.0) for about 6 months or so and it still hasn't burn't out. I think I remember reading that UVB bulbs eventually decline in ability to put out UVB rays. How do you know when you need a new one?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:20 am
by steve
The bulbs still work (emit light) after they stop producing any significant amount of UVB. Generally, the fluorescents need to be replaced ever 6 months, the MVBs every 12 months. The only way to really tell if they are producing UVB is with a UVB meter (they cost about $150).

The http://www.uvguide.co.uk/ site has charts showing the usage/decays of several popular bulbs, so you can get an estimate of how your bulb is doing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:15 am
by N4784N R4613
Also, if you have a pare of TRANSITIONS® glasses(the ones that change in the sun) they are activated by UV light. It is not really an accurate way of telling if there is any UVB rays, but it is pretty cool to see if it is producing any UV rays whatsoever. :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:42 am
by Rickiew04
What's a good lamp fixture for the MVB bulbs? I'm considering getting one of those. I have a 55 gallon tank so it should be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:05 pm
by marisa
You need one with a ceramic base so because of the large amount of heat that the bulb gives off. The bulb should be hung vertically. I'm currently using 3 of them, and each is in a reflective dome, one is an ESU dome, the others were purchased at Lowe's and Tractor Supply Company (brooder lamps). Get a 10-inch dome rated for 250 watts or higher.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:08 pm
by Rickiew04
Ok thanks a lot!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:11 am
by Bumby's Mom
On the package of the Reptiglo 5.0 it says they last for 12 months.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:34 pm
by marisa
It says that on the Reptisun flourescents as well. I've used them for about 8 months before replacing them.