Equipment Review and Discussion :: Exo-terra light bulbs =(

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:01 pm   Exo-terra light bulbs =(

It has only been 7 days since I bought my Repti Glo 5.0 compact, and it has already burned out. This the secound time that I have had a Exo-Terra. This is the secound time I have had an Exo-terra lightbulb that has burned out in less than two weeks (40 watt Night Glo). URG! My fixtures could take up to 60 watts and the other 75 watts. I dont see what the problem is. :x

Do any of you guys have problems with this company, or do I just have terrible luck?
User avatar
Pito007
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Oct 19, 2007
Location: NJ

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:04 pm   

That's not right. I wonder if other people are having a problem. I bought a T Rex 100 watt MVB flood from reptilesupply.com and it burned out in about 30 seconds. I returned it and they refunded my money. Something is obviously wrong with your bulbs. Do yu still have the receipt for the Repti Glo? Maybe you can get your money back.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:54 pm   

Did you buy both from the same place? I've seen fragile supplies like basking bulbs at the bottom of baskets with other supplies on top of them (not too smart) waiting to be put out on shelves at some petstores. Perhaps yours were from a batch that was roughly handled.

Are you sure your fixture is OK?

I'd take it back for a refund or replacement.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:05 am   

They were both purchased from two differnt stores. But I still have my receipt, so Im definitly going to take it back when I get the time. And my fixtures should be fine, Iv'e used it with at least 6 differnt bulbs, and only 2 of them have had problems.
User avatar
Pito007
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Oct 19, 2007
Location: NJ

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:09 pm   

I am on my 3rd Repti-Glo light bulb since August (and she went over a month without the lightbulb).
The first light bulb died after a month, and I searched in petstores for a couple of weeks before giving up and purchasing another one online. When I received it, it died the second I plugged it in. I had to pay for the shipping to send it back to the company (which shall not be named because of the HORRIBLE service I received from them) within 10 days (I was required to send it priority shipping with insurance...FOR A BROKEN BULB).
It was another month before they shipped a new bulb back to me. This bulb has only been in use for a couple of days.

But yes, even if the store doesn't honor the warranty, if you call exo-terra, they will honor it and even send someone to pick up the bulb for you so you don't have to pay for the shipping (I found that out when I called them and complained that I would have to pay the shipping to send it to the online company or them...the only reason I didn't have it picked up is because I live in a dorm and don't have a real address).

Also, I was told that you HAVE to use a lamp specifically for the wattage you have. As in, my 26 watt light bulb could not be used in a 60 watt lamp. This makes absolutely no sense to me and I really do feel like they are preying on my naitivity in attempt to get me to buy the lamp...and I did.
jes
powerofvoodoo
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Sep 7, 2007

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:50 pm   

I really do hope that they give me another bulb, I dont feel like going through so much trouble. And I dont want my $17 to go to waste.
User avatar
Pito007
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Oct 19, 2007
Location: NJ

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:49 pm   

I fail to see why a 26-watt bulb can't be used in a fixture that's rated for a max of 60 watts...Other than some older fixtures for aquarium lights, what lamp fixture is rated for only 26 watts???
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:10 am   

The lamps that exo-terra sells, unfortunately. The reasoning I was given was that a 60 watt lamp will still give all 60 watts to the 26 watt bulb, essentially frying the bulb. My dad said that he didn't think that was possible, and I don't think it was either. But I didn't want to be blamed again if something happens to my new bulb so I just bought the stupid lamp.
jes
powerofvoodoo
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Sep 7, 2007

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:33 am   

I dont think thats true, because if you put a 40 watt bulb in a 60 watt fixture, it would last the same as if you put it in a 100 watt fixture. right?
User avatar
Pito007
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Oct 19, 2007
Location: NJ

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:14 pm   

Thats correct. As long as the bulb has a lower watt rating then the lamp, you should be fine. You should only have problems if you exceed the rating on the lamp. I have two 100W MVB's in lamps rated for 300W, and I haven't had any problems for over 3 months.
Really Awesome Text Loading...
███████████
▒▒▒▒ 78%

RES's
Tank, SCL 3.75in.
Diesel, SCL 3in.
User avatar
N4784N R4613
 
Posts: 1340
Joined: Jul 18, 2006
Location: Phila. PA.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:49 pm   

It sounds like the company just wants people to buy their fixtures.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:43 am   

The bulb will only draw the amount of electricity it needs to run. The lamp fixture is just a conduit for the electricity and does not affect the amount of electricity reaching the bulb. The only reason for the ratings on the lamp fixture is so that you don't put a bulb in it that will draw more electricity than the fixture can handle (i.e. melt or burn the lamp socket). This is very basic electronics and the people at the pet stores are full of crap.

FWIW I only use normal tube flourescent bulbs (except for the MVB's I use on my larger enclosures) and not the compact flourescents. I have never had a tube bulb burn out prematurely. It seems all the problems with lighting seem to be primarily with the compact flourescent bulbs. :?
User avatar
DavidY
 
Posts: 4391
Joined: Mar 9, 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:48 am   

I tend to agree. The compact flourescents are relatively new, more companies are coming out with them, and the phosphors that are being used in their production seem to be different. Before they became popular, warnings and problems seemed to be almost nonexistant. For tube flourescents, I really think Reptisuns are the best bet.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:02 pm   

I brought back the light bulb, and it was on sale so I got a new one and I made $1.61 :D
User avatar
Pito007
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Oct 19, 2007
Location: NJ

Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:50 pm   

on most fixtures it says (maximum- 60watts or what ever wattage is the max for the fixture) you can put any bulb that does not exceed the recomended wattage of the lamp, it is mostly a safty factor for the lamp, not to over heat and possibly cause a fire, and excess heat in a small wattage lamp,that has a larger watt.bulb will shorten the life of the bulb.

this is intresting.
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/mercuryvapourlamps.htm
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/lightingsurveyintro.htm

http://www.anapsid.org/gehrman2.html
User avatar
madmax1
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Jul 17, 2007
Location: S.I. New York

Next

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests