Page 1 of 1
Python tank filler/Gravel cleaner

Posted:
Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:09 am
by machina
Just got one of these and went through a fill and gravel cycle with it. Gotta say it's awesome! Cleaning and filling is 10X easier, especially the cleaning part, since I was in the habit of draining the tank to clean the gravel. By far the best $40 I spent on the turts! Got it from pet's mart and there was no need for the extensions, even cleaning something halfway across the living room.

Posted:
Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:58 pm
by SpotsMama
that's really good to hear. I've been using a python for the draining but not for the filling. For me it's just been a big syphon, really. One of these days I'm going to try it for filling. I have to agree the python is a wonderful invention.

Posted:
Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:18 pm
by missibsu
I love mine too. I always thought it was a bit of waste, just carry the buckets....BUT OH MY GOSH, lol! I wouldn't part with mine.

Posted:
Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:30 pm
by xsavingsaturdayx

Posted:
Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:33 pm
by Starchick
I'm contemplating buying a second one, I got the first because Hercules' tank is pretty high up, and I'm short, and my bucket had just a thin wire handle that killed my hands, but after using it for a few months, I feel so put upon when I have to clean Napoleon's tank the old fashioned way! Definitely worth the money, especially for the filling! That's the part I love. I could handle siphoning into a bucket and dumping it, but it was really hard for me to hoist the full bucket up to the top of the tank and get it in without spilling everywhere.
The prices I've seen have ranged from 24 to 45 for the 25 foot hose, it was 15 on petsmart.com and they'll pricematch in-store if you have one in your area and don't want to pay shipping.

Posted:
Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:30 am
by kmichael55
I use an old trash can as a bucket (the small bathroom size) with a manual siphon (I'm assuming the python is one of those you attach to a faucet?) and then refill with a large water bottle...it takes forever, but I'm a broke college student

Posted:
Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:38 am
by machina
Yup it attaches to the faucet. The cool thing about it is I can clean the rocks in the tank, which drains prolly 5 inches of water, and fill it right back up without even taking the siphon out. Donnie and Darko have yet to figure out what it is.... it's like a giant vacuum cleaner for their tank lol

Posted:
Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:59 pm
by urbancleopatra
wait... u have gravel?

Posted:
Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:39 am
by machina
urbancleopatra wrote:wait... u have gravel?
Yup. Large rocks bigger than Darko's (The bigger of the two's) head. There's no way he can eat them, and as soon as he gets bigger the gravel goes.

Posted:
Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:20 pm
by BurgerMeister8
So i'm new around here and trying to figure everything out but the python how does it work i have a genral idea but i'm not sure.

Posted:
Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:51 pm
by grey goose
One end hooks up to the sink's faucet with a supplied adaptor, the other end goes into the tank. When you turn the water on, it creates suction that pulls the water out of the tank. To refill the tank, you just turn the valve on the adaptor so the flow is reversed, and the tank fills. It's really great!

Posted:
Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:53 pm
by BurgerMeister8
ok thanks i saw it on the internet and it looked pretty cool i was planning on getting it just getting research on it first