Equipment Review and Discussion :: UVB Bulbs

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:17 am   UVB Bulbs

I'm just wondering what UVB bulbs people use. Post pictures of it if you can :D .
new turtle-lover
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Jul 24, 2005

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:33 am   

I use the T-Rex 100watt Active UV Heat bulb in a 10 inch dome.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... 006+113030
User avatar
Spookster
 
Posts: 553
Joined: Sep 24, 2005
Location: Marion, IA USA
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:09 pm   

new turtle lover, are you looking for a new UVB bulb? If so, it would be better for you to describe your set-up (tank size, basking area, what you're using now, etc.).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:40 pm   

No, i'm just wondering :P
new turtle-lover
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Jul 24, 2005

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:56 pm   

Oh, OK, just checking. I'm finding that people, in an effort to do the right thing by their turtle/s, sometimes don't get equipment that's appropriate for their set-up. The bulb Spookster's using, for example, is great for a larger tank, but wouldn't be good in a smaller tank.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:44 am   

It's ok, it never hurts to check :D .
new turtle-lover
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Jul 24, 2005

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:28 am   

Well I have a 39-gallon tank, and I have the basking area that you buy at the store. I have a 50-watt household lamp right now, but apparantly I need ANOTHER light.. the UVB bulb... so what do you recommend?
User avatar
SlidersRCool
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Jan 26, 2006
Location: Florida

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:36 pm   

I use the same as Spookster.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
User avatar
jenaero
Moderator
 
Posts: 3606
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: Thorold, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:08 pm   

How far away from your turtle is the basking light now? A 39-gallon tank (really?) doesn't sound that big, and mercury vapor bulbs like the Active UVHeat mentioned above give off a lot of heat. In smaller tanks, too much, actually, and this type of bulb is not recommended for small tanks for that reason. If you really wanted to try a mercury vapor bulb (they're more expensive than regular UVB lights and should be screwed into a ceramic socket because of the heat) I'd also get a lampstand like the one Zoo-Med makes (or something similar) so the distance the light is from the basking area can easily be adjusted (you need to check the temp carefully with a thermometer).

If you don't want to do that, I'd get a Reptisun UVB light. If you were going to put it, say, about 6-8 inches from your basking turtle, I'd get a 5.0; if you were going to have it further away, there's the 10.0. The bulbs come as tubes or compact flourescents, the latter being more fragile and prone to more problems (in my experience).
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:11 pm   

UVB/Heat combo light. I had a flood light last time, this time i got them a spot light...they LOVE it more than the flood.
Buslady of SoCal
1.1.0 Rhinoclemmys Pulchrrima Manni: Donatello, Jessie, Steve, Leo, Bender + 2 more eggs to hatch
2.2.0 Trachemys Scripta Elegans: Mike,Raph; For adopton: Tokka, Casey
1.0.0 Ninjemys Chelonia Raffaello: Raphael ;-)
User avatar
Buslady
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Feb 2, 2006
Location: Hiding somewhere in SoCal with Raphael

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:44 pm   

I used Repti-sun 10.0 UVB UVA tube light, I think it's pretty good, but it's mainly for UVB, it doesn't give off much heat so additional heating bulb might be needed. One thing you need to be careful is the way it design(tube like shape) is fragile if you handle it the wrong way. I just broke mine not too long ago as I tried to take it off from the clamp, and I only had it for 5 days :'(. probably because I handled it while it's still warm though...:(
User avatar
RESCHIU
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Jan 26, 2006
Location: Las Vegas

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:05 am   

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... 7995183612

That's what I have right now but you still need a regular light bulb to provide heat as that one doesn't kick out much.

And in the next week I'll be changing to the bulb to the one I got at Petland a Desert 7% UVB Coil Lamp by ESU Reptile.
She is mine and I shall call her Michelangelo!
User avatar
daredevilgirl013
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Aug 31, 2005
Location: Ohio

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:18 am   

I'm thinking about getting one of the lighting fixture instead of UVB bulb(so I don't have to exchange between UVA and UVB bulb),
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_ ... 0333434596
do you think this can be as efficient as the UVB bulb since it covers more area in the tank?
User avatar
RESCHIU
 
Posts: 241
Joined: Jan 26, 2006
Location: Las Vegas

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:30 am   

This bulb won't provide enough heat for basking. No idea if it would be more efficient but the nice thing about using UVB bulbs with standard sockets is that you can direct it right over the basking area.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male


Return to Equipment Review and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 92 guests