Equipment Review and Discussion :: Exo-terra light bulbs =(

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:45 am   

I want to add another plug for the tube fluorescents. They are very good. And I've never heard a bad thing about a reptisun tube fluorescent. They test very well too - seem to deliver what they promise.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:14 pm   

From looking at that link to Kaplan, I'm wondering why some people think the Repti-Glo is such a good bulb...
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:29 pm   

Marisa, what was it specifically that you found in the Kaplan report that causes concern? I wondered if the report even addresses compact fluorescents. Most of the info was pretty old - more than 10 years - maybe compiled before the CFs were even on the market? So far as I could tell all the info was on tube fluorescents. Maybe I missed something.

If the report addressed CF's as well as tubes, then I thought it should have been much more specific as to which bulbs were being tested - exo terra, for instance, sells at least 4 different compact fluorescents. Was the one listed in the report a tube fluorescent or one of the compact fluorescents? If a compact then which one?

My understanding is that the UV Guide UK is in the process of thoroughly
testing a set of exo terra CF's. I'm looking forward to what they have to say. For myself, I've recommended the exo terra CF bulbs (the 5.0s only, I wouldn't recommend a 10.0) by default simply because we haven't seen problems with them of the sort that some had with the reptisuns. And you can't beat those exo terra prices. :D
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:13 pm   

With compacts, you have to be careful screwing them into the fixture. Never tighten it by the bulb. You could fracture the seal where the glass meets the base, and the bulb will fail. Always tighten at the white base of the bulb, never handle the bulb by the glass.
"Make it turtle proof, and they'll build a better turtle."
User avatar
grey goose
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1941
Joined: Jul 12, 2006

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:01 am   

I use the Reptiglo compact 5.0 bulb but I also use it in the compact hood that is designed for it. I have 2 bulbs, one since June and one since August an both are going strong. Also have 2 heat bulbs that are both from May that are still working which is why I won't use normal house bulbs for heat since they only last a month.
1 Pekin Duck- Bumby
1 Adult Midland Painted Turtle- Nyx
2 Hatchling Midland Painted Turtles- Gimli, Marvolo
1 Normal Gray Cockatiel- Egore
User avatar
Bumby's Mom
 
Posts: 751
Joined: Jul 20, 2007

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:08 pm   

I like the pictures on the exo-terra boxes! :lol:
User avatar
Pito007
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Oct 19, 2007
Location: NJ

Post Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:14 pm   

:x :x :x :x :x

I came home from school today only to find that my secound exo-terra compact uvb burnedout!!!!! :x


:evil: I should write a letter :twisted:


but I think Ill just get a refund at the pet store :(
User avatar
Pito007
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Oct 19, 2007
Location: NJ

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:33 am   

omg! im glad im not the only one with problems with the STUPID bulbs. I honestly think exo-tera should be taken off the market. I have gone through NUMEROUS and i mean NUMEROUS amounts of their bulbs. I had probably about 3-4 of them burn out within 2 weeks. I refuse to ever use their lighting again. Now i have used Zoo Med's Turtle Tuff and i have had now 3 of them burn out in less than 2 months. Im at my wits end. I dont know what to do. And right now my hatching now doesnt have a heat lamp until after the petsmart opens tomorrow. im trying to keep my apartment as warm as possible, but its still not enough. And i cant put her in the tank with my the older turtles b/c they are too agressive for her.

What brand of heating do poeple use? Are the ceramic ones better? What brand should i get? PLEASE I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO. HELP.
~~:+::TurTleTaTToO::+:~~

4RES (oldest 2 youngest):
~~~Scratch, Skid, Shroomy, & Tragedy
TurtleTattoo
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Dec 9, 2006

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:22 pm   

Pito007 wrote::x :x :x :x :x

I came home from school today only to find that my secound exo-terra compact uvb burnedout!!!!! :x


:evil: I should write a letter :twisted:


but I think Ill just get a refund at the pet store :(


Oh that must really suck! My lightbulbs have never burned out before!
3 turtles,
3 cats,
& fish.
User avatar
emma
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: Aug 28, 2007
Location: Minnesota

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:42 pm   

TurtleTatoo - that's a shame about your bulbs. They aren't cheap - it must be frustrating to have to replace them over and over.

Are you sure it's the bulbs? Maybe there's a problem with your fixture. Have you tried them with different fixtures and had any better luck?

Not many use ceramic heaters. Steve has, maybe he'll comment on them.

Most people use a regular household incandescent bulb for heat. I think a 75 watt bulb is the most popular.

For UVB, an alternative compact fluorescent to the exo terra's is a zoo med Reptisun 5.0 bulb. The Reptisun's have a reputation for being reliable. You have to be careful with them though and not get them too close to the turtle because this is the type of bulb that can hurt a turtle's eyes if it's too close. Keep it at least 12" from the turtle and don't put it in a fixture with a shiny interior (which concentrates the rays). Watch to see that your turtle doesn't show signs that the light is hurting his/her eyes - reluctant to bask, eyes swollen or irritated. Don't even try to use the Reptisun 10.0 because it's just too strong.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:17 pm   

i have an 18" zoomed 5.0 that i use and another screw in 5.0 bulb. these i use for the UVA and UVB lighting. I had a a 150 watt halogen heat lamp which they seem to love, but its geting old and im going to have to replace it soon. and i have a 10 gl tank with a baby RES which im trying the ceramic heater on, but its crap, she doesnt want to bask cuz is just not warm enough. I think im going to have to take it back AGAIN! and just deal with the light bulbs.
As far as the fixtures, i know its not them, b/c i've tried replacing them as well and the lights still burn out.
I want to pull my hair out this is so frustrating!
thanks for your help btw.
~~:+::TurTleTaTToO::+:~~

4RES (oldest 2 youngest):
~~~Scratch, Skid, Shroomy, & Tragedy
TurtleTattoo
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Dec 9, 2006

Post Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:38 pm   

I think if you buy an expensive bulb and it burns out after a couple of weeks either the store or the manufacturer should replace it. i don't know whether they will, but they should.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:15 am   

i certainly agree that they should replace it. But they dont. I think its time i write the company. i'll photo copy my recietes and bitch to the makers of the bulbs.
~~:+::TurTleTaTToO::+:~~

4RES (oldest 2 youngest):
~~~Scratch, Skid, Shroomy, & Tragedy
TurtleTattoo
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Dec 9, 2006

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:43 am   

From the CFs that I've used, the Repti-Glo has a much weaker output (measured with Solometer 6.2) compared to a Reptisun. The failure rate with either bulb does seem unacceptable high... either premature burnout, electronic failure or overheating.
User avatar
steve
Site Admin
 
Posts: 31583
Joined: Apr 11, 2005
Location: New York, NY
Gender: Male

Post Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:09 am   

I guess the first rate CF UVB bulb has yet to be invented.
SpotsMama
User avatar
SpotsMama
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Jun 7, 2006
Location: Mesquite Texas

Previous

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 68 guests