Page 1 of 2

Ok..Did I do a no no???

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:34 pm
by camee1991
Tonite I just steamed some brocolli and cauliflour and since Tobi ONLY likes carrots so far...I stuck a couple small pieces of each in his water and he devoured them! ....OK so I read about the Brocolli being a high risk food, so maybe dont give it to him much at all, but any ideas on cauliflour? I didnt see it on the list. (I really want to get her to like veges and if she likes something I want to give it to her ya know?)

____________
Cam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:31 am
by camee1991
Ok guys?! Anyone? Sorry to bump my own post, but I really wanna know cuz I got some saved in case I can keep giving it to her?!

__________
Cam

Life is a Journey
You have to believe
In your dreams
In order to fly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:46 am
by DavidY
I just did a google on "cauliflower nutrition" and found that it has some really good nutritional and healthy qualities, like boosting the immune system and helping reduce sizes of tumors in cancer, etc. It appears that it is higher in phosphorus than calcium by 2 to 1, which is the opposite of the ratio that we want. So while it is a healthy vegetable to eat, you may want to feed it only once in a while, or feed it with something else that is higher in calcium.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:50 am
by camee1991
Kewl! Thanks DavidY! I wont make it a staple or anything, just occasionally would be great! Im just glad she is starting to like NEW things! Thank you thank you thank you:)

___________
Cam

Life is a Journey
You have to believe
In your dreams
In order to fly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:18 am
by RunninWideOpen
Wow, it's nice to have people who know how to look those sorts of things up and actually understand them!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:21 am
by camee1991
No doubt! Thats why I LOVE this place!!!:)

__________

Cam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:30 pm
by DavidY
:D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:28 am
by Hoooneylynn
dave is just too smart for me! Hes in SOMEONE elses league. HA! ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:31 am
by DavidY
:oops:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:25 am
by camee1991
I hear ya! I wish I just KNEW all these things or KNEW how to look them up and actually understand them?!? YOU GO David!!! :)

_____________
Camee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:53 am
by DavidY
:D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:07 pm
by pumpkinsherbet
that cauliflower info is interesting. maybe i could use it as an occasional treat like once every other month? what about the broccoli? it's on the do not feed list as far as i know, but i'm curious about the nutritional value. cite your source davidY don't be stingy :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:59 pm
by DavidY
hmm, I googled "cauliflower nutrition" and then looked up a couple of different sources (never a good idea to go by just a single source unless it's well trusted). lemme try again....

a lot of good detailed info and description of health benefits here...
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=13

good breakdown of nutritional content here (click on the "Extended nutritional details" link on the web page)...
http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/11761.html

excellent detailed and thorough breakdown analysis here...
http://www.health-garden.com/cauliflower.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:39 am
by Hoooneylynn
this is strange, me and my boyfriend were just talking about cauliflower.... :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:42 am
by DavidY
...you have just entered...The Twilight Zone!