Page 1 of 1
Wont eat fish!

Posted:
Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:55 pm
by nbostow
I have a RES and he will not eat fish! I don't know why! I am going to get some more feeder fish to see if he will eat some this time. Is this bad? Is it bad for his nutrition to only eat the pellets?
Thank you!
Re: Wont eat fish!

Posted:
Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:18 pm
by untsmurf
how big is your turtle? what are his living conditions like? what kind of fish are you offering? how long are you giving him to eat the fish?
Pellets are good form of protein for your turtle, feeder fish, shrimp, etc are good treats that can be offered occasionally, but you need to make sure that you're offering so good greens.
Re: Wont eat fish!

Posted:
Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:43 am
by steve
Fish are also optional, maybe your RES can't catch them yet or doesn't have any interest yet.
Re: Wont eat fish!

Posted:
Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:09 pm
by nbostow
He is about 7 1/2 to 8in. I tried goldfish because they aren't as fast as feeder fish and I tried feeder fish. I left them in there for about two weeks and he didn't even try to get them.
Re: Wont eat fish!

Posted:
Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:48 pm
by texasreb
My turtle will gobble live fish right up if they are sick or distressed but will not even try to catch them if they are healthy. The reason I know this is because I once gave her a goldfish with a swim bladder issue--the entire fish (about 4") was gone the next day. This was the push she needed to begin eating after a long period of poor treatment and subsequent loss of appetite. She also ate all of her feeder minnows when I forgot to put in water conditioner after a W/C. I don't intentionally seek out ill or injured fish for her…just making that clear! The goldie's swim bladder was damaged by inadvertent over-feeding and it was healthy prior to the incident; and it was my stupid mistake that caused the minnow's early demise.
Re: Wont eat fish!

Posted:
Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:00 am
by steve
Goldfish are not considered as healthy as minnows, although there is always some inherent risk with live foods.