Page 1 of 1

New Guppy friends

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:21 pm
by Zorce
Well added about 20 guppy's to the tank. They seem to me making out fine. I dont think my poor turtles have ever gotten so much exercise in their life lol. I am sure one day they will get one and feel proud about it. :D

Re: New Guppy friends

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:27 pm
by worldpeace
How old are your turtles? If they're small it's going to take awhile for the guppies to disappear.

It's quite interesting to watch them wildly chase the fish around, right?

Re: New Guppy friends

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:39 pm
by cprcheetah
The longest Zeke has ever had a guppy was about a week. He loves them :-)

Re: New Guppy friends

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:32 pm
by Peva
I added three minnows about 3 days ago and none are gone yet. I don't think she likes them that much.

Re: New Guppy friends

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:44 am
by SINI5T3R
yeah the little turtles just gotta figure out they are edible lol

mine took a while to get them but once they know, you will hate it because you wont be able to keep anything tropical in there lol accept cichlids or big fish and even big fish get bit up

Re: New Guppy friends

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:34 am
by SSMcLeod
Not necessarily...

I feed my turtles feeder fish on a regular basis (about once a month as "treats") and there is a mad frenzy and they will be gone in hours. However, in the tank are 8 Odessas, 3 Rainbows and 2 Plecos - all of which get ignored. Some turtles just seem to ignore some fish - I think it could be that odessa and rainbows are insanely fast compared to turtles so they just don't bother.

Re: New Guppy friends

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:13 am
by SINI5T3R
SSMcLeod wrote:Not necessarily...

I feed my turtles feeder fish on a regular basis (about once a month as "treats") and there is a mad frenzy and they will be gone in hours. However, in the tank are 8 Odessas, 3 Rainbows and 2 Plecos - all of which get ignored. Some turtles just seem to ignore some fish - I think it could be that odessa and rainbows are insanely fast compared to turtles so they just don't bother.



yeah your lucky they are fast because turtles are attracted to the colors. those would be gone quick in my tank lol

Re: New Guppy friends

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:01 am
by SSMcLeod
Well the odessas stay in a school - the females are dull and boring, but the two males are bright with the red stripes and spots and all. They are also agressive - I have seen a male go after a turtle to defend one of the females.

As for the rainbows, they just hide in the drift wood where the turtles can't get them - I have seen them swim fast, but really only the male comes out, and he seems to have a temper.

The plecos - well no one cares about the fish that eats their fecal matter *shrugs* ;)