Page 1 of 1

tried it and they loved it

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:55 am
by gianoshoes
CORN! my turtles love it. other than pellets they like nothing else, until of course I gave them corn. Is it weired to be this excited? hehe
but how does it rate on a nutritional level? , is corn especially good for anything for turtles, or just meh?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:19 am
by untsmurf
It's pretty much in the meh category. Corn doesn't really offer anything substantial. I had luck offering carrots. Tomatoes and sweet potatoes have also been popular with other keepers. My turtle loves blue berries too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:26 pm
by Lantic
I thought tomatoes were to acidic for turtle stomachs?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:27 pm
by gwennie
I would've thought the same thing about tomatoes. I don't think a turtle would find a tomato in the wild, so I've never tried to offer mine one xD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:54 pm
by Lantic
That's what i thought, but after looking in the food sticky at the top, it does say you can feed tomatoes, but not to often due to them being acidic.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:09 pm
by marisa
Turtles do love corn, and I read somewhere that in some places it's used as bait to catch wild ones. :( I give my turts a few kernals now and then, especially since it's in season. It's not really good as a regular item in the diet. Interestingly, if you look at the ingredients in Mazuri, it's listed as a major one (which makes me question why Mazuri is rated so highly).

If I give tomato (which I also give occasionally), I give pieces that are firm and near to the skin, not the inside, which is more juicy and has the seeds.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:07 pm
by wiccabrat
Mine love corn to and it's entertaining to watch them all chase the cob around the pool. They tend to gang up on it from different sides so it's forced to stay still while they munch. I have one painted who likes it so much she'll make off with the whole cob and wedge it in the rocks so it can't get away.