Page 1 of 1

potassium

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:58 pm
by theartbook35
I kind of reached a major "duh" a few days ago.

When my mother had severe leg pains, she went to a doctor of course and discovered she was low on potassium. She eats bananas. She gets potassium and it gets fixed.

I don't think turtles get cramps, but since they swim, I noticed that many of their vegetables and fruits have potassium, bananas and tomatoes especially. I had been giving my turtles tomato on a weekly basis, and I noticed that their skin on their legs got brighter, like a healthy brighter, and it's been a while since they've both shed, so I know it's not the pretty after shedding look. I also noticed them wanting to run around more, their legs getting some "oomph" into them, and their balance even got better.

I find that kind of cool.

On another note, I'm also fond of tomato for being good for the skin in general, and carrots seemed to make my turtle's eyes a little brighter in color.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:31 am
by Azfar
This is just my general ancient opinion where my parents always advice me and also my other siblings which they always tell us to eat vegetables and fruit.. since we are kids, we don't like vegies.. feel yucks to eat.. but not now.. we eat everything~! haha.. in moderation of course.. hehe.. What my mum and dad always told us since we kids:

"Eat tomato!, its good for your skin"..

"Eat carrots!, it gives you sharp eyes and no need to wear spectacles".. 8)

"Eat banana, mango! or any fruits as appetizer, so dat you won't feel too hungry and eat alot for main course" :lol: ..

"Eat green vegetables, goods for digestion" :D

I feel the advices are worth it until now.

Side note about banana, my chineese friends told me do not eat banana(if you are on diet) because banana contains lots of sugar.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:00 pm
by theartbook35
Azfar wrote:This is just my general ancient opinion where my parents always advice me and also my other siblings which they always tell us to eat vegetables and fruit.. since we are kids, we don't like vegies.. feel yucks to eat.. but not now.. we eat everything~! haha.. in moderation of course.. hehe.. What my mum and dad always told us since we kids:

"Eat tomato!, its good for your skin"..

"Eat carrots!, it gives you sharp eyes and no need to wear spectacles".. 8)

"Eat banana, mango! or any fruits as appetizer, so dat you won't feel too hungry and eat alot for main course" :lol: ..

"Eat green vegetables, goods for digestion" :D

I feel the advices are worth it until now.

Side note about banana, my chineese friends told me do not eat banana(if you are on diet) because banana contains lots of sugar.


I live in a hole, My parents never said that. This is stuff I read on a ton of nutrition sites.

I still think it's cool.

Green veggies aren't good for digestion, especially if you are a woman. When certain things happen, green veggies like lettuce do the exact OPPOSITE of what they are supposed to do. This is why I give my turtles lettuce once a week.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:39 pm
by TheComputerGremlin
My parents never told me how to properly eat (might explain why Americans are fat, since our parents don't tell us things like Malaysian parents do!), but I've learned more about these various things since joining this site. Because of this site, I have increased my knowledge about cats, bettas, and mice, as well, because I started to realize what to look for.

I will disagree, though, about the green veggies. They are high in fiber, which is good for digestion. I am a woman, and I have better digestion now that I eat salad every day than ever before! So my turtle-butt gets her lettuce about 5 times a week.

Oh yeah, and bananas are very high in good sugar, but they are also very high in calories. So dieting, it's not so great for. But if you need a quick sugar boost, it's good, and I've heard it's good to eat a banana right after a run (probably along the lines of those leg cramps ...)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:30 am
by Azfar
TheComputerGremlin wrote:I will disagree, though, about the green veggies. They are high in fiber, which is good for digestion. I am a woman, and I have better digestion now that I eat salad every day than ever before! So my turtle-butt gets her lettuce about 5 times a week.

Oh yeah, and bananas are very high in good sugar, but they are also very high in calories. So dieting, it's not so great for. But if you need a quick sugar boost, it's good, and I've heard it's good to eat a banana right after a run (probably along the lines of those leg cramps ...)


I agree with you. Why my parents told us to eat vegies not just good for digestion also for 'easy' digestion so dat you won't making 'noise' in the toilet. :lol: Its not a jokes but its real! heh.. every meals, lunch or dinner must have vegetables cooked or not cooked (salad) but must have it everyday. Even my turtles also get her lettuce 5 times a week.

About the banana, as you mention, yeah I do heard also dat its good to eat banana right after a run for quick sugar boost instead drinking the isotonic drink dats for sure contain lots of not-so-good sugar.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:08 am
by Kemul
Since this board pertains to turtle feeding and nutrition, I think I should write a
comment that touches on that so as not to break posting rule :P

Anyway, I think turtle needs dietary fiber as well for the wellness of its digestive
system. Natural dietary fiber exists in plants, i.e. lettuce. Apart from loose stool,
a turtle won't get bad effects if fed too much greens. Loose stool is better than
constipation and, if I may, this goes for human too. In my case, stool being too
hard can cause bleeding and discomfort for days.

Now, what I learned from primary school is that we need to eat five kinds of food
to stay healthy. The phrase is "4 healthy 5 perfect". The 4 are rice (carbo, being
Indonesian and all whose staple food is rice ;)), vegetables, meat (anything
not green vegetable), and fruits. The last one is milk (dairy) to make the
perfect 5. I still follow this rule and I consider myself healthy, though a bit
lacking in physical exercise part :P

Oh, something about banana. If you like growing flowering plants, the
banana skin makes great fertilizer that encourages flowering.

Ok, I'm going to step off my soapbox now. Thanks for reading :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:26 pm
by theartbook35
TheComputerGremlin wrote:My parents never told me how to properly eat (might explain why Americans are fat, since our parents don't tell us things like Malaysian parents do!), but I've learned more about these various things since joining this site. Because of this site, I have increased my knowledge about cats, bettas, and mice, as well, because I started to realize what to look for.

I will disagree, though, about the green veggies. They are high in fiber, which is good for digestion. I am a woman, and I have better digestion now that I eat salad every day than ever before! So my turtle-butt gets her lettuce about 5 times a week.

Oh yeah, and bananas are very high in good sugar, but they are also very high in calories. So dieting, it's not so great for. But if you need a quick sugar boost, it's good, and I've heard it's good to eat a banana right after a run (probably along the lines of those leg cramps ...)


Congratulations you digest salad better than me.

I've always done better with more fruits than veggies, as far as digestion is concerned. Just like turtles, every human in different.