Java moss

Posted:
Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:50 pm
by rachel16
Is it safe to have Java Moss in the tank with Spunky?
I was planing on buying some to decorate his tank.
What do you think?

Posted:
Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:24 pm
by BullDog
I've heard a few people use java moss. Be aware that it's likely going to end up as a snack for your turtles though.

Posted:
Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:29 pm
by theartbook35
I don't know if java moss is safe, but honestly, you are better off using artificial plants. They last a long time if the turtles can't destroy them, and they may bite them at first, but they eventually realize the horrible taste of plastic and the lack of realness so they give up on eating them.
Turtles usually rip apart live plants so severely that they can't grow back. If you want them for food only, it's fine as long as the turtles can eat them safely. But as decorations, they are useless.

Posted:
Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:18 pm
by emma
I got java moss once.
I put it in my tank and my turltes devoured it in less than a day.
It also left a huge mess to clean up!