Page 1 of 1

Shedding, vit E and blueberries

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:48 pm
by imderanged
Pickle needs to shed again. I know blueberries are a once in a while food because of sugars, but can I increase her intake in the SHORT TERM to get a little extra vit E into her to help her shed? What would be the down side of doing this? I gave her 2 berries the day before yesterday, and 2 more yesterday and one today.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:45 pm
by Caphits
If you can find dandelion greens, they are quite high in vitamin E and also Vitamin K. As are carrots(they are pretty sugary also though, but have enormous amounts of vitamin A).

Really, blueberries dont have very much vitamin A. They dont really seem to have much nutritional value at all....

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/fruits-and-fruit-juices/1851/2

Compared to...
http://www.nutritiondata.com/foods-011103000000000000000-w.html?maxCount=128

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:16 pm
by TheComputerGremlin
I think that there would be no short term effects for feeding too many blueberries, but long term, it could shorten her lifespan, pack on extra pounds, etc.

Why do you think she needs to shed again? My turtle is 1.5 years old and has never shed, at all. She probably should have by now, but I'm letting nature take its course. I would recommend that you let nature take care of the shedding, and just give her a few blueberries here and there!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:56 pm
by imderanged
I thought it was vit E not A they needed for shedding? Either way, I can usually find dandelion greens, so I will get some of those. The reason I said I think she needs a shed is that I see those silvery bubbles under some of her scutes. The last time I saw those she shed a while later. Thanks for the responses.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:58 pm
by Lantic
I would just wait. I wouldn't want to hinder her quality because of some bubbles that only times and patience can fix.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:02 pm
by Caphits
imderanged wrote:I thought it was vit E not A they needed for shedding? Either way, I can usually find dandelion greens, so I will get some of those. The reason I said I think she needs a shed is that I see those silvery bubbles under some of her scutes. The last time I saw those she shed a while later. Thanks for the responses.


....I did say vitamin E.

Edit: well, most of the time... :roll: