Page 1 of 1

HBH Turtle Bites... new formula?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:38 am
by steve
Anyone get a new container of HBH? The pellets look duller, smaller and don't seem to have the same scent... I'm not sure about the taste ;) I rotate my pellet brands, but I don't like it when the mess with the formula.

I'll try to get a snap shot later.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:02 pm
by TurtleLover_S&B
Well,the only food I ever use is "ReptoMin Floating Sticks" and "ZooMed Natural Aquatic Turtle Food".

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:38 pm
by megcornell
Maybe you got a stale bunch?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:39 pm
by marisa
Did you compare the ingredients and check the analysis to see if they're the same? Can't say that I'm a big fan of this brand. Everything but the kitchen sink is thrown in, so it's hard to believe they've really changed anything. Whenever a product is intentionally changed, it's touted as being "improved" or "new" on the package.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:35 pm
by octpusgirl8
I noticed the same thing. They're not so brightly colored anymore, but the turts still seem to like them just as good. Of course, i think they'd gobble up anything i put in with them! They're not the main pellet i feed (reptomin is) but i like to give them a little variety.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:49 pm
by JAS722
I use the HBH brand of turtle bites, because that is the only brand my turtles like, and I just bought a new container last week, it says "new formula" on the bottle, however, they look and smell the same as my last container (red and green coloring) and my turtles still love them. . . so I dunno if that is any help.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:06 pm
by Mickey
Steve, You're right. My new HBH container says "New! Natural Formula." The pic on front shows brightly colored (red/green/brown) pellets but they are all light and dark brown. It appears that they changed the ingredients to have less fruit and added more powdery stuff. It smells more fishy/shrimpy. My older HBH smells more fruity.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:09 am
by steve
It does say "New Formula", though the old version also said "New Formula". There is noticeably less fat listed now. My picky RES does seem less interested in the new pellets, probably because there are no bright red ones for him to chase down.

The new one is on the left:

Image

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:50 pm
by marisa
Looks like there's less food coloring in the newer version.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:01 pm
by meltedspork
Yes I noticed this as well, when I bought my new container of Turtle Bites a couple of weeks ago. I actually noticed at the store, they had some older containers with the brighter pellets and some newer containers with the duller pellets. I picked one of the newer containers just out of habit, I always check expiration dates at the grocery store and buy the newest stuff. Toby seems to love it just the same as the old Turtle Bites.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:02 am
by steve
The new version does look and smell more consistent with other pellets. Interesting that my local store charges more for less ($4.99 for 145g). Either way, I'll probably be adding a third pellet into the rotation :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:24 am
by zoologist
Hm. i thought HBH pellets were pretty low on the list of good pellets to feed RES?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:32 am
by steve
It generally is, but my picky eater seems to really enjoy the older ones.