Page 1 of 1
Is it bad if a turtle recieves to much calcium (cuttlebone)?

Posted:
Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:47 am
by Sk8gal
Whenever my red-ear sliders finish a cuttlebone should I put in a new one right away or wait a week or something and then put in a new one??
Is too much calcium vitamins bad for them?
Sorry if my post was't so clear...

Posted:
Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:50 am
by packfan1
I am not sure if it would be too bad, but I only give my guys a little bit twice a week. Not sure if there is a basic standard, but when I did leave a whole big piece in there, they stopped eating it like...oh well we got that big white thing or we wait for the good stuff! LOL

Posted:
Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:52 am
by Sk8gal
LOL thanks for the reply


Posted:
Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:41 am
by BullDog
I've seen this question before...
I think usually the answer is too much of anything can be a bad thing. I usually give my turts head sized chunks every few days. This way, I know how much they're eating.
How long does it take yours to finish the bone?

Posted:
Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:30 pm
by marisa
I doubt you have to worry about your turtle getting too much calcium from cuttlebone. The calcium analysis is usually about 1/3 calcium and it's not a mineral that's particularly easy to absorb. I always try to keep a few pieces floating in the tank (not the whole piece). Turtles will eat it as needed---more when they need calcium in the diet and less when their calcium level is adequate.

Posted:
Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:38 pm
by Sk8gal
BullDog wrote:I've seen this question before...
I think usually the answer is too much of anything can be a bad thing. I usually give my turts head sized chunks every few days. This way, I know how much they're eating.
How long does it take yours to finish the bone?
It takes my turtles a bit less than a week to finish half a bone.

Posted:
Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:20 am
by HomerJTurtle
I have 3 Res. I put half a cuttlebone in the pond and it's gone by the end of the day usually. I put it in almost every day or every other day.

Posted:
Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:39 pm
by VanishingReality
I usually give a chunk daily, he's shedding so sometimes it is twice daily. But when he has none he gets some. I don't think it is harming him.