Feeding and Nutrition :: Is it bad if a turtle recieves to much calcium (cuttlebone)?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:47 am   Is it bad if a turtle recieves to much calcium (cuttlebone)?

Whenever my red-ear sliders finish a cuttlebone should I put in a new one right away or wait a week or something and then put in a new one??
Is too much calcium vitamins bad for them? :?: :?: :?:


Sorry if my post was't so clear...
:DI love my turts!!:D
~)-My cuties-(~
RES: Flea
Diamondback Terrapins: Mikey
Hamster: Teddy

RIP Ricky...You were so adorable and will be missed a lot .....
RIP Dusty

Tommy, Soldier, and Sky are in a bigger pond now
User avatar
Sk8gal
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: Torrance, CA

Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:50 am   

I am not sure if it would be too bad, but I only give my guys a little bit twice a week. Not sure if there is a basic standard, but when I did leave a whole big piece in there, they stopped eating it like...oh well we got that big white thing or we wait for the good stuff! LOL
packfan1
 
Posts: 178
Joined: May 6, 2008

Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:52 am   

LOL thanks for the reply :D
:DI love my turts!!:D
~)-My cuties-(~
RES: Flea
Diamondback Terrapins: Mikey
Hamster: Teddy

RIP Ricky...You were so adorable and will be missed a lot .....
RIP Dusty

Tommy, Soldier, and Sky are in a bigger pond now
User avatar
Sk8gal
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: Torrance, CA

Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:41 am   

I've seen this question before...

I think usually the answer is too much of anything can be a bad thing. I usually give my turts head sized chunks every few days. This way, I know how much they're eating.

How long does it take yours to finish the bone?
­Ralpheal, "The 'L' is silent."
Frankie, "Young at heart."
User avatar
BullDog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Jun 21, 2006
Location: BC, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:30 pm   

I doubt you have to worry about your turtle getting too much calcium from cuttlebone. The calcium analysis is usually about 1/3 calcium and it's not a mineral that's particularly easy to absorb. I always try to keep a few pieces floating in the tank (not the whole piece). Turtles will eat it as needed---more when they need calcium in the diet and less when their calcium level is adequate.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod
 
Posts: 12993
Joined: Apr 21, 2005
Location: CT, USA

Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:38 pm   

BullDog wrote:I've seen this question before...

I think usually the answer is too much of anything can be a bad thing. I usually give my turts head sized chunks every few days. This way, I know how much they're eating.

How long does it take yours to finish the bone?


It takes my turtles a bit less than a week to finish half a bone.
:DI love my turts!!:D
~)-My cuties-(~
RES: Flea
Diamondback Terrapins: Mikey
Hamster: Teddy

RIP Ricky...You were so adorable and will be missed a lot .....
RIP Dusty

Tommy, Soldier, and Sky are in a bigger pond now
User avatar
Sk8gal
 
Posts: 347
Joined: Jul 13, 2008
Location: Torrance, CA

Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:20 am   

I have 3 Res. I put half a cuttlebone in the pond and it's gone by the end of the day usually. I put it in almost every day or every other day.
3 RES, 3 Angel Koi, 3 cats, 1 Indonesian Boxie, 1 Pirhana, and 1 man LOL
HomerJTurtle
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Mar 30, 2008
Location: Montana

Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:39 pm   

I usually give a chunk daily, he's shedding so sometimes it is twice daily. But when he has none he gets some. I don't think it is harming him.
*Kat

Bala Sharks- three unnamed
Cats- Oreo & Lola
Goldfish- Spot, Brain
RES- Crush
Dragon Eel- Muffins II
VanishingReality
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Feb 19, 2008


Return to Feeding and Nutrition

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 177 guests