Page 1 of 1

Why won't they eat it?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:41 pm
by PcBuilder14
What is the best way to get turtles to eat carrots, romaine lettuce, strawberries, and appleskins. I've tried all of that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:19 pm
by Nettle
It usually takes turtles time to get used to them; I mean, kids don't like eating their veggies either. Lettuce is very important, so you could try a tough love approach where you feed them nothing but lettuce for a few days and see if he takes to it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:21 pm
by PcBuilder14
Okay, I'll start trying that tomorrow morning.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:30 pm
by steve
You can also try putting them in a veggie clip, that way they are always in the same spot.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:32 pm
by Raphulk
today i tried to feed my turts some romain lettuce. and to my sweet surprise raphael ate it hands down right when i clipped it onto my tank with some regular binder clips. its cute because since raphael ate it, then my tiny hulk saw and thought if he does it then he can do it too. haha

yay veggies

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:37 pm
by PcBuilder14
Lucky! I woke up at 1:30 P.M. so I'm going to try the veggie only thing tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:04 pm
by SpotsMama
Spot wouldn't eat any veggie but fresh basil for a long time. He still loves it. He also really loves steamed sweet potato. You might try these just to get him started.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:54 pm
by PcBuilder14
Okay.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:25 pm
by ilcapo21
Is basil healthy for turtles, i have that stuff growing all around my house, (italians have to have basil in their tomato sauce). That would be very easy for me to gather up for them

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:16 am
by novroz
PcBuilder14 wrote:What is the best way to get turtles to eat carrots, romaine lettuce, strawberries, and appleskins. I've tried all of that.


I have the same problem :(

Nettle wrote:It usually takes turtles time to get used to them; I mean, kids don't like eating their veggies either. Lettuce is very important, so you could try a tough love approach where you feed them nothing but lettuce for a few days and see if he takes to it.


That's so hard to do...I did that but within 1 day I couldn't bare seeing her hungry and beg for food everytime I passed her container...those eyes melt my heart.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:15 am
by octpusgirl8
Basil can be a good thing to try for veggie-shy turtles, other popular "first veggies" are carrot strips, red pepper, and red leaf lettuce.
novroz- i know it's tough to hold out on them, but it's important to do what's best for them. Turtles are master guilt-trippers, but they can go quite a while without food at all, so you're not actually hurting them by holding out on the pellets for a few days.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:30 pm
by imderanged
When I first got Sylar he would not eat anything but pellets. I was feeding him in a seperate container and I tried putting some shredded up veggies in his little container and he wanted nothing to do with it. But when I started feeding him in his tank I clipped some veggies on the side of his tank and left them there all day. He started to finally nibble on them. Now he tries to eat them while I am still clipping them to the side of the tank, the pig!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:48 am
by novroz
I have 2 RES...I gave the little guy, kroten, a small leave of lettuce, by the end of the day...he ate them all. But Kame, the 1 that I love the most, still hadn't touch it :(

octpusgirl>> I know it's for own good...I try to hold on now, it'e easier if I have to go to work for 1 full day...so she can't manipulate me

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:55 am
by packfan1
My guys seem to like just about anything I put in the tank. The female will eat lettuce the best, one male doesnt really care for it. But if it is all he has for two days, then he eats it. I have tried watermelon...yummy, carrot bits and peas(which they love!) I do not give them these off the main corse foods often, just as a treat. Main diet is pellets every day or two and lettuce nearly every day. Treats on occasion only.